Mid 2009 MacBook Pro Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jeffinslaw, May 22, 2012.

1. Jeffinslaw macrumors newbie

Hi, new member here. I just bought a used Mid 2009 MacBook Pro 15" and I need some help. The person I bought it from said that the RAM is bad from what the tech person he took it to said.

When you press the power button, the fans turn on and you get the Apple chime but no display, you can insert and remove a CD though.

I'm wondering if it is a display issue though. I can't test different RAM in it because my friend is being a tight a** and won't let me borrow his Pro to try out his RAM in and my RAM in his.

Got any ideas?

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Try booting off of one stick of RAM. The display issue seems unusual for RAM though, I recommend reseating and inspecting the LDVS cable (seated diagonally near the display, visible when the bottom is off)

3. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I wouldn't call your friend a tight ass. It's legitimate. There is a chance you or he could screw up and damage something by accident or scratch the bottom with a screwdriver trying to unscrew the screws. He's being cautious with something that's not his problem and that shouldn't be. Why would you buy a non-working MacBook Pro and simply trust the person selling was telling the truth about what was causing the issue? Don't you think if the RAM was really the issue the seller would spend 10 bucks and purchase 2 gigs of RAM before selling? Should be a little smarter next time.

4. Jeffinslaw, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012

Jeffinslaw thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't post to be preached at. I'm well aware of the risks of buying used items off of Craigslist. And this guy was some college kid and he claimed he "didn't know how to replace it." I'm asking for help, not a lesson on manors and daily procedures.

And as far as my friend being a tight a**. He is, I know him a hell of a lot more than you do and this is how he typically is.

So, I appreciate the advice and will try using one stick of RAM and re-seating the LDVS.

*EDIT* Tried both suggestions and no dice. I would think that if it is bad RAM, booting with one of the sticks wouldn't have worked. I tried booting with no RAM and I got the loud beep and no start up chime. If worse comes to worse, I can take it to the local Apple repair shop and have them take a look. If it is a dead logic board (I did find what looks like corrosion around the battery connector but there wasn't any discoloration around the LDVS connector) then I'll just save up and buy one, not to difficult. I did buy this thing for $500.

Any other suggestions?

5. Jackilynportlandor macrumors newbie

Jackilynportlandor

--- Post Merged, May 26, 2016 ---
    So lately ppl have forgotten to stick to the form who cares about what that person says about someone u have never met come on just forget about it every form I have read there is someone responding with some negative attitude about whoever when this is to be about a problem with Apple just had to moment thanks

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Hmmm
    It took several reads before I could decide what you said.
    I really do try to NOT be pedantic about what I see in posts, but I'm hopeful you will discover punctuation before your next post... :D

7. squarebreathing macrumors member

squarebreathing

You paid $500 for a non-working 7 year old macbook pro. Even for a pristine 2009 15 inch MBP, It is still a seven year old computer and a gamble. Your friend is right to not put anything of his into this. You dun goofed. Use this as a lesson.

8. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

If you have bad RAM, you'll get three beeps when you try to start it up.

If no beeps, you might have a different problem.

Try an external monitor.

9. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez