Mid 2009 MacBook Pro problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hansiedejong, Jun 14, 2012.

1. hansiedejong macrumors regular

Hi,

Since last tuesday, I'm having pretty major problems with my more than 2 year old MacBook Pro.

Situation:
    Since last tuesday my Mac is freezing and beach ballin' as hell. The freeze problem is insane (never had any problem with this machine before tuesday afternoon). When I'm using the MacBook it freezes completely for a few minutes. It occurs every few minutes. The freeze completely freezes the screen, I can't do anything. I can move the cursor and noticed the time in de menu bar is ticking. When the MacBook is freezing and I'm for instance doing some Lion gestures it isn't doing anything. When it 'wakes up' after a few minutes (after the freeze) my Mac is 'making' all those gestures I made while it was freezing. It is like a cycle (freeze - normal - freeze etc.).

What can I do? How can I make my Mac 'workable' again for at least 2 months until I go to NYC and pick up a MacBook Pro with Retina display?

I'm pretty desperate!

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13'' 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    OS X Lion 10.7.4 (Everything up to date)

2. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

That's exactly what mine did when the hard disk was failing, yours has lasted a year longer than mine did though. It would be fine for 10-15 minutes and then lock up with a beachball for a minute at a time, so became unusable. Once it started doing it, it quickly deteriorated to the point where it was nearly all beachball. Make sure you have a backup in case it's the same thing.