Mid-2009 MacBook Pro refuses to see HDD.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by makeminemaudlin, Dec 12, 2010.

1. makeminemaudlin macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I'm looking for any help I can get for my MBP. Thanks in advance for your time!

Problem: My MacBook Pro refuses to see my HDD.

What happened: I was working late one night on a Keynote presentation. My battery ran out, and the computer did that hibernation thing it does when there's no battery power. I got my charger, connected it to my computer, and then pushed the power button. It started up for a second in to the gray screen it usually goes to. Then I turned around, tugging the magsafe charger out of the connector on the computer. This caused my computer to shut down again. Now I can't get it to boot at all.

I've tried pretty much everything to deal with this. Multiple forced reboots, resetting PRAM and NVRAM, etc. I booted to original OSX disc and ran disc utility, but I discovered that there is *no disc to boot to*.

I ran the Apple Hardware Test, and it came back 100% good. I booted to an Ubuntu live-boot disc and ran that disc utility, just to see if it recognized a disc at all. It didn't. So I removed the HDD, and replaced it with a bootable volume running BSD. It didn't recognize that HDD either. I then attached my HDD to my computer via an external enclosure with a USB interface. Lo and behold, it booted!

So my computer now only work with my HDD attached externally. This means that the HDD is functional. And the AHT returns *no* hardware malfunctions. So what the hell is going on?

Any thoughts? Any help? I've put the HDD back into the computer but it still doesn't do anything at all (I'm running it externally right now). I just checked the serial number and my 1 year warranty expired recently, so I can't send it back for repair.

Thank you!

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Did you try restarting holding down the Option key to see if they computer see's the drive? It sounds like you screwed something up when the magsafe was disconnected. I would take it into your local Apple Store to be checked out. If you have AppleCare then I'd recommend calling them immediately to see if they have some troubleshooting steps.

3. makeminemaudlin thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I tried that a couple of times. It doesn't seem to help.

Additionally, I have now run disc utility on the both the partition and the disc as a whole, while it was mounted externally. It found several errors (that's strange cuz I run it fairly frequently just to keep things running smoothly) and I repaired them, then repaired permissions. Still nothing...