Mid 2009 MBP and SSDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TCOMC, Sep 7, 2011.

1. TCOMC macrumors newbie

First Post!

tl;dr Where do I find the revision letter on my mid 2009 logic board?

I have this paranoia that this has been asked dozens and dozens of times but I'm having no luck searching. I've found a dozen semi related answers, but I can't piece them together...

I have a mid 2009 macbook pro 5,4 and I want to install an SSD as my sole drive - probably a vertex 2 or agility 3 because of their prices. I'd love the silence of an SSD and the speed would be a great plus :rolleyes:

Am I going to be walking into a world of frustration? The one thing my mind is attached to is this talk about logic board revisions. I read, from my random googling, that the Revision B logic boards support SSDs a lot better than the Revision A boards do. How do I find out what revision my logic board is? I've posts talking about the Rev B vs Rev A but nothing about how to locate it... I took the under panel off when I upgraded the memory but saw no words on the logic board resembling "rev" or "revision".

Should I even bother with an SSD if I have a Revision A logic board? I'm hoping the group of people who have trouble with Rev A boards are a lot smaller than the group who have been successful and haven't posted about it.

Thanks for the help!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'm not sure where you found your information, as I've never heard of this myself and I come on here nearly everyday.

My bet is that you are perfectly safe to install the SSD of your choice into your machine, and honestly, if it doesn't work out, just return it.

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I have no idea about this Rev A/Rev B business. I do have a Mid-2009 MacBook Pro which I recently installed an SSD into, and it works great.

FWIW.

4. timex88 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I too am in the process of upgrading my MacBook Pro 13" mid 2009 5,5 Mac OS X 10.6.6 , with a SSD, I searched high and low for a list of compatible SSD for my hardware , but with little luck, until i find this thread.

@Demosthenes X:
    -which SSD did you put in your macbook pro
    -how long ago did you install SSD
    -was the installation a synch

I was looking to get :

-Crucial M4 128Gb, however there is extra work , downgrade efi , possible incompatibility between SATA II and SATA III , would work but would be troublesome at times.

-OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD), but reviews at NewEgg really scares me
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227551

Thank you all in Advance

5. Minicube macrumors regular

I put a Crutial M4 in my blackbook. Works fine.

6. timex88 macrumors newbie