Mid-2009 MBP Should Still Be Good?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imbty, May 28, 2013.

1. imbty macrumors newbie

I assume yes based on my needs and purpose.

I have a Mid-2009 MBP, Core 2 Duo 2.26 with 4 GB Memory. Although I might need to change my hard drive again (maybe I messed it up due to moving around, etc) and definitely the battery (I'm at 1,600 cycle.. actually, I NEED my charger).

It's still at 10.5.8, but will have it at Lion fully updated in the next week or so.

Any reason why I should consider getting a newer one?

I usually just watch movies on it, obviously email/facebook, read books, etc. I use Lightroom, and will probably upgrade to the latest Lightroom and Photoshop soon. I don't use it extensively, maybe here and there, like once a month or something.

Will definitely need to use it for school again soon.

2. ajcadoo macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

As long as it runs, you should be good! You could replace the HDD and battery and maybe upgrade the RAM.

3. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I have the exact same model, but I only have 2 gb RAM and running 10.6.8. I'm thinking about upgrading to 8 gb RAM and mountain lion. Apple is giving me a new hard drive, and I got a new MagSafe. Long story short I was burning through hard drives and hard drive cables because of a sleep issue. Other than that it still runs pretty well for being 4 years old. I've heard that you shouldn't upgrade to Lion though. I'm not even sure you can buy it from Apple. Go straight to Mountain Lion and maybe upgrade your RAM to 8 gb. I've been told that 4 is ok but 8 is better. Maybe get a new battery.

4. imbty thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe 4 GB is all I can have for this model.

The HDD is 500 GB, and honestly, I won't need even 250 GB (only reason I'm almost full is because I haven't backed it up for the last.. oh... 2 years? lol).

5. simsaladimbamba

8 GB is the maximum.

Them you will probably benefit from a 250 GB SSD like the Samsung 840 or Crucial M4.

And if your data is important to you, back it up.

6. Richyrich1975 macrumors member

Check your page outs with istat pro. If you aren't having any there is no need to upgrade your ram.

7. Siggen macrumors 6502

I gave my Mid-2009 MBP to my mom, her main response after half a year was that she hated Java with a passion.

Our country will stop using Java for banking this year, so no problem :)

8. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

I have the same computer and it works great. Recently upgraded memory to 8gb and its running 10.8.3 like a charm. No complaints.

9. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

My old MBP from March 2009 still works great. 8GB of memory (yes, you can install 8GB in that model) and an SSD and it flies.

I actually use it at home instead of my rMBP, mainly because I have a 2-year old running around the house that loves electronics, so my newer rMBP is only used at work.

The battery is shot in the old machine but it works fine when plugged in.