Mid 2009 RAM Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JohnsPau, Nov 9, 2012.

1. JohnsPau macrumors newbie

I have a mid 2009 Macbook Pro (2.26 GHZ) and am looking into upgrading my RAM.

The problem is that one of the RAM bays isn't working and won't recognize anything. (I'm guessing a logic board issue and something not worth fixing because of it being too expensive.)

It says on the Apple website that this model of Macbook Pro will only accept 8gb of RAM, but does that mean each bay will only accept 4gb or could I throw in one 8gb?

Thanks!

2. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

4GB per slot if there are 2 slots buuuuuut apple always lowballs their numbers. Example is my 2011 iMac says 16gb max, but OWC said 32GB so I have 32GB and it works fine. Same with my black book. Apple said 4GB max, I have 6GB no problem.

So Check on the OWC website for your model and see what they say. Most likely the # is higher than what apple says.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The mid 2009 models support 8GB in a 2 x 4GB setup. Theoretically a single 8GB stick won't work, but maybe in reality it does?

I'd stick with 2 x 4GB either way, the RAM is run in dual channel mode. A single stick would give you slower memory performance.