Mid-2009 worthy of SSD upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by roanmy, Jun 12, 2015.

1. roanmy macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a mid-2009 MBP 13" that I've upgraded with 8gb of ram. However, I still experience lag and slow performance from time to time, and was wondering wether an SSD upgrade would be worth the money, and extended its life-cycle?

Usually I'd get a new one, given how old it is, but I had the motherboard replaced not too long ago, and the ram is still new, so I doubt it's going to just die on me anytime soon, and I really don't need a new laptop right now (or such a high expense).

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Hi roanmy,

It sounds like you are in the perfect situation to install a SSD, and you will notice a large difference in performance. Given the fresh motherboard, especially, upgrading seems ideal. SSDs have gone down considerably in price over the last few years and if you're just interested in the aspect of speed, a 60GB or 120GB SSD can be had for quite a cheap price.

I would definitely upgrade it. I hope this helps.

3. roanmy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for the reply! Do you think it'll help with 1080p video playback as well? I've been having some issues with stuttering from time to time, especially with .ts and .m2ts.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Not noticeably, no. That would specifically have to do with your GPU, which unfortunately you can't really help on your model. It isn't like the RAM or HDD where it can simply be swapped for better hardware.

5. rneglia macrumors 6502

rneglia

I am adding an SSD to my mid-2009 MBP this week. I'll report back with results.

6. Gonzbull macrumors newbie

I did this a while back. 250G Samsung 850Evo. Highly recommended.

7. Slicktype macrumors 6502

Slicktype

Mid 09 MBP 13" here as well. I replaced to SSD and 8gb Ram. Still slow ..... However, I did not replace the motherboard.
    Maybe this is the deciding factor in terms of speed and no lag ? Not sure here.
    I was experiencing so much lag that I Just recently purchased an AIR and have been loving it !

8. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Seeing how cheap SSDs are these days, you should absolutely get one even if your machine is 6 years old. It's a pretty dramatic difference.

9. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

My 2009 13MBP has been a great computer! I use it as a back-up and it still runs great, albeit slower than my 2011 15MBP. My 13 inch model has 8GB of RAM and a 500GB SSD. Same motherboard from day one. It runs great!

10. davys macrumors regular

Yeah, go for it. I upgraded my 15" to the 250ssd and 8gb ram and it was a big improvement. That was last year and no reason why I won't get another two years out of this, it runs great, big difference. I'm guessing that OS upgrades in two years will mean that my 09 MacBook Pro will no longer be supported, then I'll have a decision to make. For now it still does exactly what I wanted it to do back in 2010 when I bought it, even Photoshop CC.