Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyFred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Hi, I would like to know if it will support SATA3?
If it didn't support, would that decrease huge performance that a SSD can have? Which 120GB SSD would you recommend me for my MBP? Cheers!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Since only the 2011 and 2012 MBPs support S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III), you will be limited to S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) in either bay.

The loss will only be with sequential read and write speeds, random access time is still fast and will make your Mac quite fast to react to input.

HappyFred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Since only the 2011 and 2012 MBPs support S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III), you will be limited to S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) in either bay.

The loss will only be with sequential read and write speeds, random access time is still fast and will make your Mac quite fast to react to input.

But the post was updated like two years ago, does Intel 320 series still a good choice? I have heard M4 is a good choice too but now has been beaten by the SAMSUNG pro series. Just wanna confirm with you, if install my SSD in optical bay rather than HDD bay wouldn't affect its performance? Btw, I have heard from people saying after install SSD on the optical bay will significantly decrease the battery life by 40%, is that true? If it is true, do I demount my HDD when I don't need access of information in that? Finally, what kind of software would you suggest me to install in order to transfer my data to my SSD but I would like to fresh OS installation on my SSD?
Thanks for your kindly attention!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.