Mid 2010 13" MacBook Pro battery Replacement Suggestions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Resist, May 4, 2017.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

I'm looking for a replacement battery for my Mid 2010 13" MacBook Pro. The prices seem to vary from $35 on up, so I need suggestions on which one to buy.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks for the link. I see they have the 2012 rMBP battery and I may take the plunge on replacing that myself. Apple wants to charge me either 199 or 310 (not sure tbh) and it will also include a top case because of the gluing of the battery. I saw on YT a nice method of using nylon string to cut through the glue without risking damaging the old battery.

I may contact apple for a firmer price and then make my decision.

4. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Never ever buy cheap third party or pirate batteries,check nearest Apple repair/spare part shop.

5. chipchen macrumors 6502

I bought many a 3rd party battery. Bottom line - you get what you pay for. I don't think $129 for a new Apple battery is worth it on that machine though. I recommend going to Amazon, and picking one of the 3rd party batteries that have 4 stars or more with AT LEAST 150 reviews. Anything 50 reviews or less are fake reviews. (Good rule of thumb for most Amazon listed items) Around $50-60 is what I'd guess you'd have to pay.

6. dezza85 macrumors member

My last Apple battery on this very machine had a little explosion. When I got to the machine in the morning after it was on charge over night I noticed that the trackpad had come out of the top of the palm rest... I was a bit shocked.

On investigation a noticed the battery had expanded so much that it had blown the trackpad out of position.

Anyway, I removed the battery and remarkably the machine works fine now as long as its plugged in. I need something portable so I have just gone and bought a new machine instead of messing with repairs but it just shows be careful, if an official Apple battery can do that what could a cheap Chinese one do under the wrong conditions.

7. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Ifixit is local to me, but they are a tad overpriced. If I could fine that same exact battery on Amazon, I'm sure it would be less expensive.