Mid- 2010 13" Macbook Pro running slow.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jarroyo1031, Jan 20, 2012.

1. jarroyo1031 macrumors member

Hello,

As mentioned in the title, my mother has a 13" Macbook Pro with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB, and it's running OSX Lion. The problem is that it is running slow for absolutely no reason. My mother only uses the computer to browse the web, but the little round loading icon shows up randomly at times when she's not doing anything intensive (editing photos, etc). My question is whether I could do anything about it? I have considered adding some more RAM, but am unsure about how much good it would do. Is there a program that I could run that would make her computer more responsive? I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
    jarroyo1031

2. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

Noticed mine runs a little slower since Lion was installed on it too...

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's probably due to the billions upon billions of bytes on your computer! :D

Seriously, take a look at the tips I posted. Some may be helpful.

4. jarroyo1031, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

jarroyo1031 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I'm in the process of doing these. Any other suggestions? Would increasing RAM help at all?

Edit: Hahaha! Just clicked on the link. By the way, I did everything on that guide and I really hope it does the trick. While I was on activity monitor, I saw that the Page outs were at around 700, so I guess more RAM would not do much right?

Thanks again for all the help

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Many say RAM is cheap, so get as much as you can, even if it's not needed. However, RAM prices continue to fall, and if more isn't needed now, waiting to buy at a later time when it's actually needed will probably result in a lower price.

To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

6. jarroyo1031 thread starter macrumors member