mid 2010 13" MBP 16GB Ram upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sheltie mom, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Sheltie mom, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017

Sheltie mom macrumors newbie

Hi,

Bought corsair ram and upon installation got the beeps that signal no ram installed. Have tried different configurations but no joy getting either 8GB stick to work. Original ram works fine. Clearly states on the package that it is compatible. Have installed mactracker and it says 16gb works in my MBP. The new ram is 1333 not 1066 but I would think that it would just run at 1066 and not make it so it is not recognized. If the speed is the problem is there any way to provide a fix for that or do I just have to shell out more $$ for lower speed ram? Thanks for any help.

2. mastermind6192 macrumors member

mastermind6192

Well according to support.apple.com/kb/SP583 your Mac only supports up to 8GB and requires 1066MHz DDR3 modules,

3. Sheltie mom thread starter macrumors newbie

That is the official apple statement but the 13" MBP do take 16gb. Many people have upgraded to it. I double checked with several sources before purchasing. There are multiple threads on here of people who have done the 16gb upgrade so I know it is possible. And as I said I used mactracker to check my specific computer to make sure it would take the 16gb.

4. Resist macrumors 68030

I'm thinking the speed of the RAM is your problem.

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

6. Sheltie mom thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually returned that Ram to amazon.ca for a full refund and bought from a different manufacturer and it worked perfect. I now have 16 gb of ram and a new SSD. It is faster than when I bought it.