Resolved Mid 2010 13" MBP El Capitan 16GB Ram Problem (Again)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ohgoshua, Dec 20, 2015.

1. ohgoshua macrumors newbie

ohgoshua

Hi,

I posted here last month concerning a ram upgrade for my MBP. It would work with one card, boosting ram capabilities to 10GB, or stand alone to 8GB. I understood the other card to be faulty and requested a new kit. Fast forward and I have a new set of cards, and the same issue. One card causes one beep stand alone, and three beeps when paired with an original 2GB card. The other new card works alone, in both slots, and with an original 2GB card. I understand the slots to be functional as the original ram works fine, and one new card also works well.

I emailed the manufacturer who said both the original cards passed all tests, so is it anything besides faulty ram? I am ordering from Flexx Memory. I would like to troubleshoot before I send back the ram for a second time.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well firstly what do you need 16GB of RAM for on a 6 year old laptop?? There are very few use cases which will need 16Gb of RAM without first needing better graphics and processing to go with it, so the real question here is should you bother at all.

If it is because you want to speed up a sluggish computer then SSD replacement for your hard drive would be a far better way to spend your money.
    However I would say that either one card isn't seating properly in the slot or you have indeed got some more faulty RAM (thats what those beeps mean) send it back and buy some crucial RAM it's pretty darn reliable.