Mid 2010 13" MBP El Capitan 16GB Ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ohgoshua, Nov 27, 2015.

1. ohgoshua macrumors newbie

ohgoshua

First post, so apologies for any mistakes. Recently installed El Capitan on my Mid 2010 13" 2.4 GHz MBP, anticipating the arrival of a new SSD and ram kit. The new drive works fine, but the computer will run only with 10GB of ram, instead of the 16GB I payed for. One slot holds a 8GB PC3-8500 DDR3 1067 MHz card (From Flexx Ram), with the other holding a 2GB card that came with the computer. Two 8GB cards results in the beeping noise I have heard about.

Where am I going wrong? Is the ram I bought simply incompatible with the computer, even though this model of MBP seems to work with 16GB ram for many users? Does the new OS not like the upgrade? Is there a reset I can perform to help the computer take on the extra ram? 10GB is a significant boost to performance, but I would like to utilise the 16GB I payed for. Any help is appreciated,

Thank you

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

The 2010 13" MBP can be picky about the RAM that will work for a total of 16 Gb. See this link:
    http://blog.macsales.com/16302-some-2010-mac-owners-can-get-more-ram-than-they-thought
    or it also could be that one stick is good and one is bad. Have you tried each 8 Gb stick one at a time?

3. ohgoshua thread starter macrumors newbie

ohgoshua

Textbook mistake really, it appears one stick is bad like you say. One works perfectly well, the other causes beeping. I will send the ram back for a replacement, assuming the computer will work with two good 8GB sticks. Thank you for your time.