Mid 2010-15.4 Macbook Pro. Repair or Sell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lindsford, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

Greetings,

I've been using a Mid 2010 Macbook Pro for over a year now ( I bought it off of a friend who constantly upgrades) and it's plenty fast enough, the screen looks great, the battery could be better however for what I need it works out really well. The main problem I've been having is the graphics drivers failing and crashing while anything intensive runs on the screen (1080p video, light gaming such as Warcraft) I believe you can buy new logic boards to fix this, and I don't mind dropping a $2-300 to make it run decent again. it already has upgraded ram and SSD so it's quite snappy outside of the crashes.

Does anyone have experience with swapping the logic board out, how long can you expect the new one to last? Or is it better to just try to scrape what I can before it completely dies out?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The 2010 15" MBP had a repair extension for this issue. Unfortunately it has expired.

There is a chance that the replacement logic board will have the same issue. It's up to you if you want to spend $200-300 to fix a 6 year old computer. Personally, I wouldn't.

3. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

I would keep the SSD and sell the rest.

As T5BRICK said, the 2010 (like so many other years) is prone to issues with the dGPU.

I have the Late 2011 MacBook Pro 17" which is also prone dGPU issues, but it's the last 17" MacBook Pro.

Your Mid 2010, on the other hand, has no redeeming feature.