Mid-2010 15" MacBook Pro RAM Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by splatkid10, Aug 31, 2011.

1. splatkid10 macrumors newbie

I have a 2010 15" 2.4 Ghz MBP. I know it came with 4GB of RAM. Is it worth it to buy another 4 GB of RAM? Also is the current RAM setup two 2GB cards or one 4GB card?

I don't use the computer for too much high intensity stuff but do like to multi-task quite a bit.

Thx.

2. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

It would come with 2-2GB sticks now.
    Considering the price of the 8GB upgrade now, it's a no-brainer.

3. splatkid10 thread starter macrumors newbie

How would you go about the upgrade? I.e what type do I want and where is a good place to buy? Also the upgrade is plug and play correct?

4. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178335

$35 shipped. I went with Corsair, but now it's $47 with a $10 rebate. ANy big brand is fine to go with.

Not sure what you mean by plug and play, but you take the old memory out, install the new stuff, and go. You have to take the bottom of your laptop off but that's not really hard.

5. splatkid10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Appreciate the help, why is the memory upgrade so much more with Apple? Also how does this affect my warranty? BTW- did not purchase apple care when I bought the laptop in June 2010.

6. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

Hardware upgrades from Apple are always marked up really high.
    A RAM upgrade will not affect your warranty.

7. splatkid10 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm noticing a lot of different companies on Newegg and most of their prices are fairly similar. Does anyone have a particular favorite/particular dog?

Thanks.

8. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

More or less whatever is cheapest. All the chips are made by the same few manufactures anyway.

RAM and HD are user serviceable and won't mess with your AppleCare, buy if you got it last June and didn't buy the extended you're out of coverage anyway..