Mid-2010 15" MacBook Pro Screen Repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wi2co2014, Sep 11, 2014.

1. wi2co2014 macrumors newbie

Hello all!

I need a bit of advice regarding my MacBook Pro's screen. Long story short, the screen was broken due to an object impacting the outer aluminum shell. The force was strong enough to leave a dent in the shell while also leaving the screen underneath shattered. The screen turns on and the backlight works, but the image on the screen is broken apart and some of the screen doesn't function at all.

I was hoping to get some advice on my repair options/pricing. I've been looking online and it seems that it could cost me anywhere from $200 - $300. Given the fact that the glass, display, and outer shell are all damaged, it is going to cost me quite a bit. As a broke college kid, what sort of pricing is reasonable for a computer of this age? Do you think that, since the computer is over 4 years old, I should just save that money and start to invest into getting a completely new computer?

I really miss using my Mac and hope to find a solution soon. Thank you all for your advice!

2. funwithdesign macrumors regular

If you aren't so fussed about portability you could hook it up to a monitor and leave it in 'clamshell' mode. I assume the computer still functions other than the screen?

3. wi2co2014 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, the computer still works fine. I think that's what I'll end up doing until I have the cash to replace the computer. Thanks for the advice!

4. LxHunter macrumors 6502

Perhaps find a used screen assembly replacement? Maybe about $150? Either online or perhaps find a small shop near you? Not too hard to do yourself if you have the screwdrivers. The office had 2 old 15's same exact models. One with dead motherboard and one with dead screen. I swapped the screen assembly.