Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chevelleguy3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
Mckinney, TX
So I know a lot of you are familiar with the GPU panic of the Mid 2010 15" Macbook Pro. This is the the one that when the machine heats up a little bit it will go to a black screen and restart on it's own. In the log, it refers to a GPU panic.

I know that Apple has honored logic board replacements due to the failing GPU up to 3 years from date of purchase whether it is under AppleCare or not. I have had some replaced in the past that were out of warranty but less than 3 years from DOP.

I have one that is past the 3 years and is failing. Has anyone tried to fix this on their own? I've tried searching but haven't found any results on someone fixing this outside of Apple. The laptop is not worth me buying a new logic board, but I'd still like to give it a shot on fixing it.

I've done the normal PRAM, SMC resets, wiped and reinstalled OS, swapped RAM with known good RAM.

Any thoughts?

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
Hi there;

I'm a happy owner of a mid-2010 15" Macbook Pro and I am typing from that old guy this very second. I only have switched the Superdrive with an SSD and fusion drived Leopard into it from the terminal while installing fresh OS X (pm me if you want more details) and it looks like I can squeeze out 3 more good years out of it. Actually, it'll be a little off topic but I am doubting that they are building the MacBooks as durable as they were nowadays.

Regarding your question, only issue I occasionally have doesn't seem to be portrayed in your description. What I'm getting that could be associated with a sort of a GPU panic is when heated (or open for a long time, CPU/GPU intensive tasks, dunno) I get weird coloured stripes on parts of the screen. It is really difficult to describe it but it's like rainbow coloured thin lines randomly scattered across the screen. They go away when I restart. I googled it once and it said it could be associated with a GPU failure symptom. Hope not. It however definitely is about the GPU.

Hope it helps even though I didn't arrive to a decisive conclusion.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Hi there;

I'm a happy owner of a mid-2010 15" Macbook Pro and I am typing from that old guy this very second. I only have switched the Superdrive with an SSD and fusion drived Leopard into it from the terminal while installing fresh OS X (pm me if you want more details) and it looks like I can squeeze out 3 more good years out of it. Actually, it'll be a little off topic but I am doubting that they are building the MacBooks as durable as they were nowadays.

Regarding your question, only issue I occasionally have doesn't seem to be portrayed in your description. What I'm getting that could be associated with a sort of a GPU panic is when heated (or open for a long time, CPU/GPU intensive tasks, dunno) I get weird coloured stripes on parts of the screen. It is really difficult to describe it but it's like rainbow coloured thin lines randomly scattered across the screen. They go away when I restart. I googled it once and it said it could be associated with a GPU failure symptom. Hope not. It however definitely is about the GPU.

Hope it helps even though I didn't arrive to a decisive conclusion.

The OP knows it's a dying GPU. They're asking if anyone's had success fixing it themselves as their MBP is outside of Apple's extended warranty for the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.