Mid 2010 15" MBP Performance on ACD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by B.Chang, Aug 12, 2011.

1. B.Chang macrumors member

Hello

I am planning on getting an ACD for my mid 2010 15" MBP.

Specs:
    2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB
    256GB SSD

My question is whether this larger display will impact significantly impact the performance of my MBP.

I will use it for programming on Eclipse, Matlab, and some editing on Photoshop. I also do some light gaming on Starcraft 2.

I also run bootcamp occasionally to work on ProEngineer, but this is a very rare occurrence and I usually use my university's computers for this.

Thank you for any input.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

3. B.Chang thread starter macrumors member

Do you notice any slower speeds due to a higher resolution? Also, is it okay to run the MBP closed? I have heard that the keyboard is used for some cooling.

Thanks.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Nope. I run in clamshell mode all the time. Don't let anyone tell you that the Keyboard is used as a vent. It just isn't true.

5. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I too run a 27" ACD from my 2010 i5 MBP (8GB RAM)...no problems...absolutley gorgeous display and flawless execution from the MBP...(i run in clamshell, but if I am running a CPU intensive program ie: Handbrake, I open the lid slightly and it does in fact run about 4 or 5 degrees cooler)...

6. B.Chang thread starter macrumors member

Hmm okay. Thanks for the information and replies! :]

7. karohan macrumors 6502

Running with the ACD in clamshell results in no choppiness or anything. Running in dual monitor mode, you may notice some GUI choppiness, but not too much slowdown regarding raw performance.

8. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

The GT 330M is a capable graphics chip.

The problem is with the integrated Intel GMA HD. Does anyone have any suggestions getting the integrated chip to perform GUI animations more smoothly with the regular display (Expose, Spaces etc)?

Sorry to hijack the thread by the way :eek:

I've tried to contact Apple, but it isn't easy these days - they same to funnel you into the Discussion board.