Mid 2010 15" MBP + SSD + Lion Boot Freeze Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KDMac'N, May 5, 2012.

1. KDMac'N macrumors newbie

I have a question I have a Mid 2010 15" MBP that has been working flawlessly on SL with only upgrade of 8gb Crucial Memory. I started to run out of space on the standard 320gb and for the Bday received enough Amazon gift cards to first get the Seagate XT 750 that I had been eyeing that was at the time $143 Shipped along with downloading a copy of Lion in which I made a bootable flash prior to the equipment change. I did a complete fresh install and it was blazing fast:D the only problem I experienced was that if I would completely shut down & Power off the MAC or sometimes restart the MBP as soon as I would go to input in my password I would get a beachball and it would freeze but there were no problems if I leave in sleep mode which I do and rarely power it off. I decided to take in the Apple Store after brief testing they assume it was the Crucial Memory so I RMA the Crucial Memory and received brand new replacement sticks of low density & problem still existed so since the prices of the Crucial M4 dropped & Seagate tech support was useless I sent drive back to Amazon for the 128gb Crucial M4 which I received yesterday did the install last night and I get the same issue on a Fresh Lion install with the freezing from a complete shutdown. I have the latest firmwire for the MBP 2,6.

I did about a weeks worth of research could not found a true answer to know if this is normal because of the 2010's are Sata II and the newer SSD's are Sata III. Again if I don't shut it down I don't have an issue also I understand Crucial has an update of 00f and mine came with 009 but I haven't seen a lot of happy campers with the latest firmware update from Crucial.

Question 1.
    Is the freezing and Beach ball during a shutdown/Restart normal or is there a fix? This is on two separate SSD type drives.

Question 2.
    I just received the 128gb M4 that I got for $124 from Amazon along with the Caddy drive to replace the Superdrive with a future purchase of 1TB (Samsung or Western Digital) hard drive since I had money left on the Amazon account or should I go for the M4 256gb since the prices have dropped like crazy send the 128gb back and just use the 320gb as storage for right now which I'm not sure about doing because it has my SL setup with Parallels 6 that I can revert back to. I did not want to blow that drive up until I can figure out this freezing issue on start up is resolved/or fixed in a firmware update with either Apple or Crucial. Last option would be to keep the 128gb and order the 1tb now for storage in the second caddy drive? I seen a thread where newegg dropped the 256gb M4 to $199 so I'm sure Amazon will follow suit since it's currently at $229.00 shipped right now.

Sorry for the long winded thread but I wanted to give as much detail as I could about the freezing Issue along with the opinion about pulling the trigger on M4 256 or keep the 128:rolleyes:

2. KDMac'N thread starter macrumors newbie

FYI..Well after numerous trips to the Apple Genius bar & them advising me that I would possibly need a main board replacement. I even tried a Samsung 830 SSD drive and the beach balling was a lot less but still got the same results:confused: I eventually did some additional forum research and everything was leading to a SATAII vs. SATAIII issue with the version of MBP. I kept reading that the Samsung 470 128gb SSD was the answer to my issue. I was able to find one on Amazon for $85 below http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EMJNMW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
    After installing the Samsung 470 128gb SSD my MBP has been incredibly fast and no reported issues with beach balling. I now have my SSD in the main HDD bay and the original 320gb HDD is an Optibay and the superdrive has been placed in an external drive listed below:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005RFOJT6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

After fixing the DVD Player via the free hex software everything is running great:D If anyone is having that issue and want to upgrade their late 2010 MBP get the Samsung 470 series if you can still find them:eek:

3. newdeal macrumors 68020

You really never described clearly what is happening that was a problem?

4. KDMac'N thread starter macrumors newbie

FYI..Well after numerous trips to the Apple Genius bar & them advising me that I would possibly need a main board replacement. I even tried a Samsung 830 SSD drive and the beach balling was a lot less but still got the same results:confused: I eventually did some additional forum research and everything was leading to a SATAII vs. SATAIII issue with the version of MBP. I kept reading that the Samsung 470 128gb SSD was the answer to my issue. I was able to find one on Amazon for $85 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EMJNMW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00
    After installing the Samsung 470 128gb SSD my MBP has been incredibly fast and no reported issues with beach balling. I now have my SSD in the main HDD bay and the original 320gb HDD is an Optibay and the superdrive has been placed in an external drive listed:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005RFOJT6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

After fixing the DVD Player via the free hex software everything is running great:D If anyone is having that issue and want to upgrade their late 2010 MBP get the Samsung 470 series if you can still find them:eek: