Mid-2010 15" MBP - Still buy Battery from Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puma1552, Nov 5, 2018.

1. puma1552 Suspended

Have a mid-2010 15" MBP, which as far as I know is classed as a user replaceable battery (do need to remove the entire bottom case, doesn't have the hatch like the original unibodies). I could've swore Apple used to sell mid-2010 batteries in store since they were user replaceable.

Looking at Microcenter, I can get a reputable OWC/NuPower battery for $119, but it looks like Apple offers battery service for just $129, in which case I'd rather just get the genuine Apple one, but I'd rather just buy it myself and pop it in if possible. I don't have my serial number convenient to chat online and ask a rep if they sell the batteries, so I'm asking here.

Can you still buy a mid-2010 battery from Apple?

2. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Can't get anything prior to 2012 from Apple in Canada.

3. Painter2002 macrumors 65816

Painter2002

I would also add that while Apple offers battery service for $129, I am not entirely sure they would even do the work, as your computer is now a "vintage" model, which means Apple no longer will do repairs on that model.

My suggestion would be to get the OWC battery, they are fairly reliable, and should last your computer through the remainder of its life cycle. By the time that OWC battery goes out it will likely be time to update to a new machine :eek:

4. puma1552 thread starter Suspended

Thanks, just picked it up, will install later tonight. Nice packaging and includes three tools which is nice.

5. puma1552 thread starter Suspended

Got the battery installed and it is excellent...went down less than 20% in two hours on full brightness (granted it probably needs a calibration or two before the data it shows is accurate), but this thing is great so far, totally new computer now. I was surprised actually to see in Coconut Battery that it had just one cycle on it and it is actually very fresh, having just been manufactured in July. Thought for sure it would be a year if not two old.

I've wished for this machine to die so many times just so I could justify buying a new one but this damn computer just keeps on going, lol. Nice I can actually use it like a real laptop again, might make me fall in love with it despite the heft (by today's standards, anyway).