Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scribbles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
First, let me start out by saying that I tried to search for an answer, but couldn't find one (feel free to link to thread if this has already been asked by someone else)

I was gifted a pair of monitors, a 30" CD and a 23" XS. I've got the 30" running at full resolution using the DL-DVI adapter. My question is, can I use a USB adapter (I have a j5create USB to DVI adapter) to run the 23" CD at the same time? (when using an external I keep my MPB in clamshell mode, mid-2010 15" MPB, 2.4GHz i5, 8gigs RAM, Samsung 830 SSD, NVIDIA GT330M) I've tried to do it but when I plug in the USB adapter, the resolution on the 30" CD gets bumped down to 1920x1200. Is there anyway to override this to force OSX to drive both screens at full resolution? I spend 99% of my time performing data analysis/ writing scientific manuscripts so I'm not worried about lag, refresh rates, etc. Thanks in advance.

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas
The max resolution for a single monitor is 2560x1600 on the 330m. However, the 330m supports multiple monitors. I wonder if the system is trying to split the maximum resolution since it doesn't have two displays running from the actual video out (one was USB if I read correctly)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.