mid 2010 21.5" Black LCD after SSD upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tcmengineer, Dec 17, 2014.

1. tcmengineer macrumors newbie

I swapped out the SuperDrive with an SSD. Closed it up and get the chime, LEDS 1-3 on, LED 4 off, and fan at full speed. Connect an external display to confirm everything is working fine...except the display.

I've disconnected, connected the LCD cables several times and replaced the data cable with same results. Only remaining possible causes can be bad connector or LCD.

Connector looks good with no damages to the pins at all and I find it difficult to believe that the LCD was damaged as I did toss it around or yanked cables out.

I don't know what to do next. I can only think to try a new LCD and pray that is the issue because next step is to replace the logic board. I've never soldered before and I won't be good at replacing the connector.

Appreciate any advice.

2. yodudears7 macrumors newbie

yodudears7

Very Very carefully, check you cable connecter itself, and take a microfiber cloth and clean the connector. If you have an air duster, try blowing into the plug on the LB. I haven't taken apart an iMac before, but I have done a lot of MacBooks, and that usually helps with a bad connection.

3. tcmengineer thread starter macrumors newbie

I've checked the connector to see if I pulled any pins or damaged the actual connector. Everything "looks" good. I'll post a pic later tonight.

I will dust it too. I could have gotten something in there because I did blow it blow it out during the SSD install. Can't remember if I removed the LCD cables before dusting it.

4. siddhartha macrumors member

siddhartha

can't remember the exact circumstance, but I had an iMac G5 that I had done an upgrade, and forgot to connect the connector for the LCD lamp. If I looked at the LCD at an angle, I could see that it was, in fact, powered/working, but the lamp for the LCD wasn't properly connected.

Check to see if that's connected, and view your LCD at an angle to see if it's getting a signal.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Another possibility: the LED backlight board.

6. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

While it is easy to misalign the thick display data connector ... be sure you also connected the tiny power connector to the power supply. There are so many little cables, it is easy to overlook one when reassembling the iMac.

7. tyche macrumors 6502

When I put an ssd in my 21.5" 2010 I reassembled the imac powered on and had a black screen. I had to take it apart again and found a tiny cable that had got pulled. So all I can offer is to make sure you reattach all the plugs to their correct homes.