Mid 2010 27" iMac not powering on

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CORunner, Jul 30, 2015.

1. CORunner macrumors newbie

CORunner

Checked the power cable and everything is good except I get nothing when I try to power on. Set an appointment for Saturday to get a diagnosis.

It's over 5 years old but I never expected to have an issue with it so not sure what the problem/cost could be and then what my options are if I decide not to fix it?

Is it worth trying to sell it as is on ebay?

I'm also coming up on swapping my old MBP for an air so it doesn't come at the best time.

Thanks for any advice! If I wasn't traveling as much for work I'd consider the 5K but over the past 4 years I've needed a laptop more than a desktop.

2. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

I had the same problem and it was a power supply. I think the repair was around $140-160 if I remember correctly. Machine has been fine since.

3. CORunner thread starter macrumors newbie

CORunner

Thanks! I really hope that is the issue. Never had any of the streaking screen issues or other problems that I've read about with the line. I upgraded the RAM myself when I bought it and this is the first problem I've ever had.

4. CORunner thread starter macrumors newbie

CORunner

Good news,

Optical fan failed so it is a clean and worst case replacing the fan. The part was $17 and the repair would be $56 if they can't simply clean it. No biggie and everything should be good to go in a few days!

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I've never seen a fan cause a machine to not boot up! Were they able to boot it with the fan disconnected?

6. CORunner thread starter macrumors newbie

CORunner

No I had thought I had unplugged everything long enough to reset the SMC. Apparently I did not. But the loading, drive and unloading at the Apple store was so it started up and they could run the test program on everything.

I'm assuming the fan died, my machine started to overheat then shut off as a precaution.