mid 2010 A1278 battery charges but wont boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jaekma, Jan 10, 2015.

1. jaekma macrumors newbie

I bought a macbook pro on eBay (non-working) hoping I can fix it. I took the entire thing apart cleaned the board and keyboard. I saw no visible water damage and no visibly damaged components. I bought a new battery for it, the battery appears to be charging. The power adaptor glows orange as the batter charges and green when it's charged or running off ac adaptor only.

I was able to boot the computer one time using the reset SMC procedure I found on a thread here, but I am not able to duplicate the boot. I am able to measure correct voltages (based on information from the same thread) at the power on pads (but not able to boot when shorting these)

I'm at a loss.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Vapor matt macrumors regular

try this, do a SMC reset but keep your finger on the power button after lifting of the command, option, shift keys. the fans will run at full speed but should be able to disconnect the magsafe and macbook will still run.

so its left hand side of keyboard shift, option, and command key and hold power button down, thats smc reset, let go of shift, option, command key but keep finger on power button say 15 sec's then push power button on its own to by pass dmc, see if it boots ok.

3. jaekma thread starter macrumors newbie

no go :( thanks for the suggestion. nothing changes just remains off.

4. jaekma thread starter macrumors newbie

booted right up and now its dead again.

It booted today.. I let it sit for a day or so and went to troubleshoot it again and it booted right up. and now it wont boot again so whats going on? Ugh anyone??