Mid 2010 for 200 euro

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Bob95, May 3, 2015.

1. Bob95 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I was browsing the Dutch version of ebay just for fun this afternoon, and came across this iMac: http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/compute...da871b0d84f75c3056cc6db858f31&previousPage=lr.

It is a mid 2010 machine, they want 200 euros for it, and the problem they say it that the only response the machine gives when it is turned on, is the folder icon with the question mark in it.

I had this before with my Power Mac G5 when I got it, and a re-install of Mac OS X was all that it needed.

I searched the web, but I couldn't really find the awnser to it, does this machine a flow why it could give this error?

My plan is to upgrade if I get it, is to upgrade it to a SSD since I don't need a lot of space anyway (data is stored on other machine).

If I upgade it to a SSD, and upgrade the RAM to 8GB will it be a good enough working machine for some small web coding, and internet? I most have of the time have my laptop with me which I also use for school with photoshop.

Thank you verry much for al your awnsers :)

Bob

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

A flashing question mark means it can't find an OS, and in this case you should assume a failed hard drive. Replacing the hard drive with an SSD and reinstalling the OS should correct it.

3. Bob95 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just returned from picking it up, after pressing option when powering it on, the only option I had was join our WIFI network, which I did, load Internet Recovery.

After I opened Diskutility I found that the hardrive was labeled 'New Volume', thats why it gave the flashing question mark, I re-formated the drive, and it is now installing Yosemite at the moment :)

--

It finished installing even before I completed this post :)

I will keep using the machine as my second machine at this house for the coming days to keep a eye on it, maybe the HDD is broken, if that is the case I will put a SSD in it which I'm planning to do anyway :)

-- Sorry I was wrong about the install, it finished downloading, it is currently installing OS X

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Bob, this seems to be too good to be trough! Is this machine stolen?

5. Bob95 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know, the HDD was formatted when I got it.

Ore the seller is really stupid, and formatted it himself.

6. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Great find!

I own the same year iMac. It's still a great, fast computer after putting an SSD in it.

7. AlifTheUnseen macrumors member

AlifTheUnseen

Don't want to ruin your happiness, but did you bother to ask why they wanted to sell it that cheap?

You'll surely not collect positive karma points if you bought it from someone who, baring technical insights, thought the flashing disc icon meant that this nice computer has become a cumbersome paperweight…

----------

Me too.. I still use it for a lot of things, and I even play Homeworld 2, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Portal and other games on it… no Witcher 2, Dragon Age Inquisition, Civ and Elite Dangerous, tho… ;-(

8. Bob95 thread starter macrumors newbie

To tell you the truth, I do a little bit feel bad about it, in the advertisement he did put that the just wanted a working machine so he bought a new one.

If he went to a computer store, ore asked a mate who might be handy with PC to take a look at it, they would have got to the same conclusion as I'm.