Mid 2010 Hard Drive Failure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drwebber, Nov 15, 2011.

1. drwebber macrumors regular

drwebber

Yesterday my April 2010 MBP was frozen. I tried to re-boot and got grey screen with the Apple. After and hour call with Apple Care they told me i needed to go to the store to have a "Genius" look at it. The gentleman Genius told me that he has seen this a decent amount since Lion. He said that the software stresses out the hardware. Long story short, I lost everything. Apple replaces hard drive, but will charge me $99 if they can recover data. Nothing if they cant.

The guy told me that apple Software causes the issue, but still wants to charge me $99. I guess it is my fault for not backing up.

Has anyone else heard of this issue?

2. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Apple replace the drive, you restore from your Time Machine backup, job done. Wait, you do have a Time Machine backup, right?

Lion stressing the hard-drive more? Maybe if you're running 2GB of RAM. More likely just coincidence.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Hmm... thats ********. If the OS would be able to "stress out" the hardware, than everyone who actually puts load on their machines (i.e. plays games, works) would have them fail immediately.

Hard discs fail. That's why OSX comes with a very convenient backup program.

4. drwebber thread starter macrumors regular

drwebber

Now I am being told it is not the Drive, but the cable!!!

5. cke1229 macrumors newbie

I bought a MBP in January 2011. first drive failed in April. Second Drive Failed 1 week later (They replaced the wire this time too). That one failed in September. They wanted to replace the wire, hard drive and this time the RAM as well. I told them I couldn't keep bringing it in and having them take 2 days to replace the drive (I had upgraded to a larger drive and they did not keep them in stock). I asked them if they would just replace the entire computer. I couldn;t believe it, but the DID!

Everything was great until about 2 hours ago and it crashed AGAIN! Here is what I was doing, and it is almost exactly what I was doing last time it crashed too:

external monitor was plugged into it, and was using external keyboard and mouse and the lid was closed. I wanted to go into another room, so I unplugged the monitor and the power supply, went to the other room and opened the lid. Started running slow, and then I started hearing clicking noises in the harddrive just like before.

I am pretty frustrated! I have never had any other issues with Apple products before now (have another MBP, iMac, ipad, 2 iphones, ipods for kids, )

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

try using it with the lid open. It allows for better cooling.