mid 2010 hard drive problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by g20man, Nov 30, 2011.

1. g20man macrumors member

g20man

My MBP recently fell from a couch to a carpeted floor where it landed on the corner that the hard drive is one (it was shut). I now have a slight vibration however, that is the least of my concerns. When I was using iTunes the next day my hard drive seemed to stop working. I put it to my ear and the chattering was very rhythmic. My computer then stopped responding with anything that required the hard drive, such as opening applications. This makes me believe that it is a hardware problem, however I was on my windows partition playing skyrim all day with no problems.

Should I reinstall the OSX?

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I would make sure everything is backup up properly. It doesn't sound very good.
    Did you check smart status? Does it show any abnormalities.
    If those HDD failures during runtime happen more than once I would just order a new drive. Unfortunately it is a bad time for buying HDDs. Still way more expensive than usual.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

This seems to be a clear sign that at least some damage was done to the hard drive.

try to backup. It's not even clear that you will be able to complete a full backup, since parts of your HD are causing problems.

I would not try to reinstall Lion. It might just fail and leave your OSX partition unusable. The part of the HD where the windows partition is installed seems to be fine. I guess you were using OSX when it fell?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_crash