Mid-2010 i7 iMac - adding an SSD.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by alexjholland, Oct 19, 2015.

1. alexjholland macrumors 6502

Hey, I have a mid-2010 iMac i7, with 12GB RAM, 1GB graphics card and a 1TB hard drive.

It's taking ages to boot and load programs, to the point that I don't use it often.

My primary use is music production/recording, with some video editing (snowboard movies etc), as well as playing music and films.

My experience shoving a 768Gb hybrid SSD drive into my older, slower Macbook White is excellent - it boots much faster than my iMac.

Am I right in thinking that the rest of the specs are still pretty respectable and I should get a few more years out of it, with an SSD drive?

My local (Cambridge, UK) is Mac Upgrades. Would what you guys recommend, from their list?

http://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/serial.php?uid=102#drives

I * think* I want to keep my program files on the SSD and keep my media (music and video I'm editing) on the 1Tb drive. I've also got an external 2Tb for Time Machine and 4Tb for downloaded films.

- Am I spending good cash here? Will it boot and work substantially faster?
    - Which hard drive size/model would you recommend, from the list MacUpgrades offer?
    - How do you think they'll go about getting my program files off and separating what goes onto the SSD and what stays on the disc?

Any other tips appreciated! Thanks

2. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

I had a 2010 and did the SSD upgrade with the help of a friend (and the OWC tools, bought the SSD myself) Well, well worth it. Amazing. Will extend the life of your machine tremendously. Spend as much as you can with a minimum 480GB internal SSD! They should be able to leave your old drive in there as well!

(Though I did just purchase the newer retina iMac!!!!)