Mid 2010 iMac 27" SSD replacement

Discussion in 'iMac' started by keogh, Jan 16, 2012.

1. keogh macrumors member

keogh

Hi Guys,

Had a quick search, but got some more specific questions to ask, and hoping you can help.

I have a mid 2010 i7 iMac 27" with the stock 1TB HDD in it. I want to REPLACE this HDD with a SSD and get rid of the HDD completely and just have the SSD in there.

What exactly would I need for this? I mean hardware wise more so, I know bout suction cups, torx screw drivers etc, but my main questions are:

1. Are there any particular SSD's drives that work best in the iMac? Or any modern(ish) SSD work?
    2. Would I need a mounting adaptor? Or can I get away with Velcro/double-sided tape? If I need a adaptor, any recommendations?
    3. My main question is, do the mid-2010 iMacs have this heat/sensor thing Apple added to later Mac's to try and deter users away from adding third party SSD's? If so, would that affect me? And how can I get around it?

So apart from opening the iMac and the tools for that (which I have no problem with) what specific stuff do I need to replace the HDD with the SSD and get it all working fine?

Any help appreciated!

ta

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

1. I've got a Vertex2 (Sandforce) in my 27" 2009 iMac
    2. Use a mounting adapter, they're cheap and perfect for the job.
    3. You have to short out the sensor else the fans will come on 100%

3. keogh thread starter macrumors member

keogh

Cheers blueroom.

1. What mounting adaptor did you get... got a link? So I can get a similar one, cos I know a particular mounting adaptor I was looking at don't fit in the iMac, so if I can get the same/similar to you then I'm good.

2. How do you short out the sensor? And if it is shorted, doesn't that mean the fan will never kick in even if the drive gets hot?

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The adapter looked like this, I'm in Toronto so what's available here...

The sensor on mine was two wire, a little wire jumper did the trick. SSDs don't get very warm so heat isn't a problem. I put a 180GB OCZ Vertex 2 in the iMac and it's nice and fast. I archive my files on a NAS.
    [​IMG]

5. keogh thread starter macrumors member

keogh

Nice one, I'll bear this in mind.

I have a Drobo for all my file storage already, hence the reason I have no need to have the 1TB in the iMac... I have a bay empty in the Drobo so the 1TB badboy will slot in there once I've got the SSD in.

Don't suppose there is a guide knocking around for shorting the sensor out is there?

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The hard part is opening that huge iMac. You want to keep dust & fingerprints out and you've got to be really careful unplugging & replugging those connectors on the screen.

The HDD comes out with two screws and goes in just as easily. As for the sensor there are at least four types but the process is the same. You'll have to google the HDD and iMac sensor disable for your particular model.

7. Zortrium macrumors 6502

FYI, you don't have to short it out -- you can also buy an optical temperature sensor and just stick it on the SSD. I did this with my 2009 27" iMac and it works perfectly.

8. LushMojo macrumors regular

LushMojo

I'm planning on doing this procedure as well. I have a mid-2010 27" iMac with stock 1 TB HDD. I want to replace it with an SSD. I only have 70gigs or so used so I'll either get a 128 or 256 gig SSD drive. Can anyone comment on the best and most reliable out there? OWC? Something else?

And if remove the HDD what's the procedure for installing OSX Mountain Lion to the blank SSD?

Also, do I really need to short out the temp sensor or can I just use smcFanControl? I have that installed on the iMac now.

Lastly, can someone recommend a specific bracket mount for the SSD?

Planning on doing this over the holiday break to try and get a bit more life out of this iMac before selling it maybe this time next year for a newer iMac. I just don't want HDD in anything anymore.

9. Slow Programmer macrumors regular