mid-2010 logic board dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Meldar, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Meldar macrumors regular

Meldar

Hello - I just got a mid-2010 MacBook Pro 13" through a customer. She complained that it randomly went to sleep all the time and considered it "broken."

Indeed it does, even in target disk mode or booted to an external HD. We did SMC reset to no effect. Can't run memory tests since it won't stay awake. She's buying a new machine rather than fix this one as it's not under AppleCare.

So now I've got this MacBook Pro that would otherwise be okay...just wanted ideas thrown out there. Is it

a) the logic board
    b) the battery
    c) the SMC itself
    d) something else

and is it something I could fix myself? I can install a new logic board, I suppose, but that's between 400 and 500 US dollars...so if it's that, this machine is going on sale for parts, which is what my group normally does anyway. We don't do hardcore Mac repair because of the cost.

Is it a bad logic board?

2. Inside_line macrumors regular

Are you sure it isn't a dead fan and shutting down due to temp?

If you want to tinker with it, unplug the hard drive and just let it sit at the startup screen plugged into a/c. If it sleeps, it's hardware.

Easiest thing is send it in for flat rate repair... it will come back working for $300 no matter what's broken (barring user damage).

3. Meldar thread starter macrumors regular

Meldar

$300, yeah right, a replacement logic board is about $400-$600 (thanks eBay) and this machine isn't under AppleCare. Nice thought, though. Do explain what this "flat rate repair" is. I've not heard of that.

But no I am NOT sure it's not a dead fan. That didn't even cross my mind. So I'll go find out...

If it sleeps with no HD plugged into AC...then it's hardware...ok, what hardware specifically?

If we end up selling this for parts, as we often do, I need to know exactly what to tell the potential buyer what is broken. I am leaning towards logic board...

4. chrfr macrumors 603

If you call Apple, they'll give you the current price for a flat rate repair on an out of warranty computer, as long as it's not damaged. It's probably $299 or $349, and they'll repair whatever is wrong with it.

5. Meldar thread starter macrumors regular

Meldar

I bet that's a well-kept secret...

Well then, I guess the question now is "Is it damaged?" I can't tell what the problem is, even. I'm trying to get OSX installed on a "new" (read: different) hard drive I had lying around and thus far no issues. No random sleep.

If it can be fixed for that little, I will have several options as far as how to get rid of it is concerned. As of now, it is officially in my possession so I would essentially have to re-open the ticket and charge the customer Apple's fee for repair...making me nothing more than a middleman...or sell it for parts anyway, or sell it repaired provided it's worth enough.

Interesting.