Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
My mac pro has had NO problems whatsoever for the entire life of its warranty. It is a Mac Pro 3,1 2008 model. Applecare will expire in 5 days. It started shutting down after a few minutes of use today! I took it in and they are going to run tests and possibly replace the power supply and the graphics card. Would have been about $800 if I didn't buy applecare. Damn good thing to have!!
I don't dispute the benefit at all. I took my chances, but I also tinker quite a bit. I've added a new CPU, two different GPUs and RAM kits, all the drives, various PCI cards and optical drives since I bought it. I figure if something goes wrong, I can fix it myself. I've taken what I think are good precautions to keep it in top condition. I have two UPS units in front of the system to keep it all happy, and I clean it enough that there's never more than the finest of dust layers inside.

Time will tell if it was a foolish gamble or not. :)

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Few questions to be answered first.

I would check to see if had Applecare first. Then open it up and see how it looks inside. Is it well taken care of or does it looks like a dirty garage by the amount of dust inside. Also...does it include all the peripherals and monitor? If you are going to use premiere..you will most likely want a cuda card, 3gb sata /raid card and perhaps a spot for a AJA/Matrox card. At least you have the 5770 that takes up only one slot vs 5780 that takes up two. Be a skeptic...if not offer him a lower price while showing him any flaws that it may have.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I don't dispute the benefit at all. I took my chances, but I also tinker quite a bit. I've added a new CPU, two different GPUs and RAM kits, all the drives, various PCI cards and optical drives since I bought it. I figure if something goes wrong, I can fix it myself. I've taken what I think are good precautions to keep it in top condition. I have two UPS units in front of the system to keep it all happy, and I clean it enough that there's never more than the finest of dust layers inside.

Time will tell if it was a foolish gamble or not. :)

I do the same, I have installed additional ram, an SSD, 3 HDDs, and a new graphics card.

I fix anything that comes along software wise...but this is hardware. Without Applecare I would be out of pocket on this one.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
So is there no hope of maintaining a MP outside of AppleCare without it costing an arm and a leg? I guess I'm back to making a decision since the AppleCare issue is a big one.

It's a THOUSAND dollars more for a refurb with a warranty. Would you be willing to pay $1000 for a one year warranty? That's 50% of the cost of the used computer!

This has me also thinking about the timing and product cycle for the Mac Pro. Would a refurb cost $2000 when a new MP is released? I'm reading a refresh drops in March, others are saying July/August. I guess we're going into a grey area though.

I won't promise anything, but probably the refurb prices will remain stable. Just look at the 2009 MP refurbs, they have been that same crazy high price for years.

zeypher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Hi guys, after all that it turns out someone beat me to the punch. But I don't regret wanting to make an educated decision. At least next time I'll be ready having all the feedback from you guys. Thanks again, it was much appreciated!

LionTamer2012

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2012
RE: Mid 2010 Mac Pro - $2000 - good deal?

It seems like a fantastic price to me. Nearly $1000 less than the refurb store, and from a seller you trust? Yes.

But I ask the obvious question, why does he want to get rid of it?

I disagree. My Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid-2010) only cost 2100US$, and came with 3x2GB Apple Memory, 1x1TB Western Digital, 2.8GHz Processor, 16x SuperDrive. 3-5 Day Shipping included (came a day early, and was delivered on a Saturday). Included OS X 10.7.2 already installed, with Recovery Partition. I downloaded and installed 10.7.3 Combo Update.

The machine also included a new AMD 5770, along with new Apple Keyboard and Magic Mouse. I Year warranty, with option for Apple Care (249US$)

I put 2x2TB WD HDDs in, plus 1x1TB WD HDD, maxing out the drive bays. Still have two internal SATA bays available. I also replaced the 3x2GB memory cards with 3x4GB cards (cost less than 80$).

There is nothing this beast wont handle easily (except no eSATA or USB 3.0 http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/frown.gif -- but that's OK, since I already had a 4TB WD Studio II w/USB 2.0, Firewire 400/800)

I purchased this from Apple's Store REFURBISHED. It's clean as a whistle, and quiet as a church-mouse, and runs very cool.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I disagree. My Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid-2010) only cost 2100US$

You can disagree all you want, but you aren't paying attention because they are different computers. OP is quoting an 8-core model that runs almost $3000 on the refurb store. Your $2100 refurb is a quad core.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.