Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 15" battery swollen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raptor402, Dec 10, 2014.

1. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hello, forum

My mid 2010 15" MBP is almost dead. A few weeks ago, the battery health dropped from a steady 82% to 40%. I did a few SMC restarts but no luck. However, I was too busy with work to be bothered by looking into a fix. Today, I opened my MacBook after a couple of days in my bad and realised that the tracked was not working. Checking at the body, I realised that the whole body was slightly twisted. It is clear that the battery is bloated.

Normally, I would remove the battery immediately, but I have opened the bottom so many times that the screw heads are completely stripped. Now, they are sealed in with thread lock. Any advise on what to do in this situation?

Regards
    Raptor

TL;DR: MBP battery swollen; can't open case to remove battery. Help!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Take it to Apple and have them replace the battery immediately, before the swelling damages your MBP.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

Agreed, you should definitely get it to Apple ASAP. We've have had a couple older batteries bloat in laptops here at my office and after removing them the laptop frame has gone back to normal so hopefully you'll be okay. I'd move quickly though.

4. raptor402 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advise, guys. I managed to run to the machine shop in my college and get the battery out. I got four screws out, 2 were missing, and I had to drill off the heads of two. The frame and trackpad are back to normal now.

I would have taken it to Apple but it was impossible to get there before next Thursday. I guess I'll just have to get a replacement or rub it like this. Does running on power without the battery cause any damage?

Thanks

Raptor

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No damage, but your performance will be reduced.