Mid 2010 MacBook Pro charging issues and shuts down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GSHFIH, Apr 3, 2012.

1. GSHFIH macrumors newbie

Hello. I hope someone here can help. I've had my MBP (15" mid 2010 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB) since 5/10 without any problems. Yesterday while streaming a movie the critical battery warning came on the screen. I checked the power supply and the led wasn't lit up. After checking that the connection was secure and the electrical outlet was ok, I tested the power supply on a different MBP. It started charging correctly. Later I reconnected the PS to my MBP and it started to charge. Afterward, while streaming a movie the system shut down completely without warning. I've got an appt w/ apple but any information before will be helpful. If their tech gives me a song and dance I'd like to have my 2-step ready. Thank you!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

During periods of high demand, your Mac can draw power from both the AC adapter and the battery, causing your battery to stop charging or even drain. See the AC POWER section of the Battery FAQ. Also, the Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C, GPU Tjmax = 100C on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel) If you're not already using it, iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. GSHFIH thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your quick response! I just got home and my MBP was charged (green LED). I unplugged it then plugged it back up 15 seconds later. The led would not come back on. Is this somehow related? I only had one window open to MacRumors webpage (no streaming vid) so it shouldn't be overloaded. Again, any thoughts are appreciated. In the meantime I will read the links you have suggested.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sometimes takes a while after being plugged in before it starts charging. Also, it won't charge if it's already charged 93% or higher. Again, see the Battery FAQ for details.

5. GSHFIH thread starter macrumors newbie