Mid 2010 Macbook Pro Freezing in VLC after extended Video viewing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hobx, Aug 23, 2011.

1. hobx, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

hobx macrumors regular

Hi all,

I'm having a problem in VLC whereby, after a few hours of viewing, the system gets extremely hot, and videos (avis and 720p mkv's) freeze for a few (maybe 10) seconds before resuming.

If I minimise the window and roll the cursor over the dock, it is initially responsive but then locks up, at this time I cannot do anything such as change tabs in chrome, launch apps etc.

I took it in to be looked at at my local apple store today, and they ran hardware diagnostics and stress tests, but could not reproduce the error.

My question, is this a VLC problem? I have Mplayer extended but have not used it enough to know whether the problem occurs in that too. My warrentee expires soon so I'm keen to get this diagnosed at least.

Any ideas?

Its a core duo 2 model.

Edit 1: I also replaced the hard drive with a crucial 128 ssd.

Edit 2: This is a 13' model, I've now seen the 15' i5/i7 problem, is this the same issue, am I effed?

Thanks!

- Hobx

2. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I have a '10 13" 2.4C2D, and have left mine hooked up to a 1080P HDTV(37" and 51", obviously not at the same time) playing 1080p .mkv's(BluRay rips, ~12GB per movie, up to 10,000kbps video) all day and had no problems, like watching 6 or more movies in a row. I have undervolted my CPU with CoolBook, but don't think that would make a difference in this situation. When it's hooked to the TV it's on a flat har surface, so it does get more or less ideal airflow(I do have a HardCandy Bubble case though), but I've never really noticed that it gets THAT hot.

3. hobx thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info DWBurke811. Admittedly its usually on my bed when its happening, so less than ideal airflow....(soft cushions).

The thing is, I'm in england and this is happenening, I'm off to cyprus next week where it is 30 degrees C. Can't imagine how often its going to occur out there!

4. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I admittedly had to google how hot 30*C is, but that's around what the temps are here where I live(~90*F, so like 33*C or so), but I am inside where the AC is 70*F(21*C) or lower.

Maybe try keeping it on a book or something when you're in bed to get a little air flow?

5. hobx thread starter macrumors regular

Don't worry, I have to do the same in reverse, fahrenheit means nothing to me ;)

Think I may have to. Cheers for you help mate!