Mid 2010 Macbook Pro Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ricriley, Sep 9, 2013.

1. ricriley macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I posted on here, but to be quite frank I haven't had an awful lot of good to say about my laptop.

My Mid 2010 Macbook Pro has been in to the Apple Store for repairs three times since I bought it, if it was not for my Applecare I would have been landed with a bill of £500+ (not what I expected from a £1500+ laptop!).

However the last repair in January required a new logic board, this solved the problem of random shutdowns.

I have a new problem, a random checkerboard effect which crashes my whole computer. After a quick search on the internet and these forums I find that the most likely culprit is the logic board again.

I have just done a SMC, NVRAM/PRAM reset as recommended by someone at Apple, but I'm unsure whether this has worked yet.

This is a picture of my screen when it happens:
    [​IMG]

My Applecare unfortunately expired in May, and I'm wondering if I'm covered by a standard warranty since it was only installed in January?

Thanks in advance,
    Ric

2. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

That's so funny you mention your logic board was replaced in January. I had a 15" 2010 MBP and had mine replaced in January also. One of my USB ports died, then the graphics card started acting up. My warranty was valid until May 2013, but shorty after I got everything fixed, I sold it for a pretty penny. I really hope the new buyer isn't having issues with it or the issue you are having.

3. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

As chrisperro suggested, take it in anyway.

On a side note I was looking at purchasing a 2010 MBP. I might hold off for now.

4. mizaco macrumors member

5. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Definitely take it back. However, I don't think this is the same issue. The black screen (kernel panic) issue results in crashes. But then again, I can't be certain.

Avoid the 2010 MBP at all costs. If the infamous NVidia 330M issue doesn't haunt you, the depressing low power (CPU and GPU) will definitely drive you crazy.

Regards
    Raptor

6. carlyinoz macrumors member

I had a mid-2010 15" I purchased refurbished. I had a similar string of issues which lead to three logic board replacements. The day I picked it up after the third, it started crashing again. I took it back and talked them into a brand new 2012 replacement. I love it.

I only later found out that there seem to be systemic problems with the 2010 models. - http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088?viewlocale=en_US

I'd say that given your last replacement was only in January, and given the run of problems you've had, it wouldn't be that hard to talk them into a replacement either.

7. ricriley thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone.

I'd better book an appointment then, I do love the laptop but I can't believe that I'm having so many problems.

Most of my friends are shocked since they have bulletproof macs. Guess I was just unlucky.

Cheers,
    Ric