Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emon878

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Canada
Hi recently I started getting trackpad problems it would behave very erratically. The cursor would move on its own. It would do multi touch gestures without me even touches the trackpad. It starts happening randomly and goes away for a little while if I press down on the track pad really hard for a second or two. Then it would start moving on its own maybe 15 minutes later, sometimes it would work for longer periods of time.

I've been living this problem for the last week now and it's been very annoying. And now today the keyboard is acting up too. It keeps closing windows and changing tabs so I'm guessing somehow the keyboard is randomly pressing CMD W and the keys to switch tabs.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong. And I haven't spilt water on the computer at all.

Thank you

SellYourMacBook

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
have you installed any new software lately ?

have you tried resetting the SMC or PR-ram?

have you upgraded any hardware ? hard drive, ram etc ?

if you havent spilled anything, then it might be software related.. but there is still a chance it could be hardware.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I had exactly the same problem, Apple fixed it free under AppleCare.

Approx $140 repair for both top cover (keyboard) & trackpad.

emon878

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Canada
I haven't installed any new hardware recently or software and I have reset SMC a few times now, unfortunately I didn't buy Apple Care and my one year is up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.