Mid-2010 MacBook Pro Major Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Atothendrew24, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Atothendrew24 macrumors member

Hey guys,

I have had my MacBook Pro since April of last year now and I am starting to notices some MAJOR problems with it.

1. My MacBook has some issues sleeping. It seems like it never wants to fully sleep. When I shut the lid, it immediately wakes back up. I check the CPU graph and it is spiking in, what seems to be, a pattern. Not only this though, my MacBook gets really, really hot when I shut the lid.

2. A couple of times last week I have woken to my MacBook on the login screen. This puzzled me because i know i did not shut it down or log off. Now last night, I come home late and I physically hear it shut down and chime back on.

So today, i performed an "Apple Hardware Test" on it and everything showed up fine. The weird thing is I routinely perform the SMART test and other maintenance on it and everything seems fine.

Any ideas on what could be the issue? or any ideas on what i should do?

-Andrew

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mac OS X: Why your Mac might not sleep or stay in sleep mode
    Do you have your system set to require a password when waking from sleep or screensaver? If so, it's the same as your issue #1.

3. Atothendrew24 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your quick reply. I used to have it require a password but I took it off when this semester of college ended so around last month.

I forgot to mention that these issues do not happen every time the computer is put to sleep, but I cant find a reasoning for it. For example, I went to my brothers house last night and brought it and used it for a while. After I was done, I shut the lid and I had no issues with it sleeping.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read the information in the link I provided?

5. Atothendrew24 thread starter macrumors member

I did. Thanks for posting it. Although I did not find any information that was new, I think I may have found something. In "Energy Saver" I (apparently) had it set that when the computer was connected to a power adapter, it never slept. Would this also take effect when the lid was shut? Seems like it could have fixed my issue #1.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, unless you've installed something like InsomniaX or have an external display attached, it should sleep when the lid is closed.

7. Atothendrew24 thread starter macrumors member

Damn. I was hoping that was the fix. I am going through the console to see what happened last night and I am finding quite a lot of weird things.

For example: VMware Fusion (an app that I dont even use) opened itself up and started doing processes.

Code:
    1/12/11 3:33:19 AM	com.vmware.launchd.vmware[56]	VMware Fusion 62573: Starting VMware Fusion: 
    Not only that though, this next command occurs hundreds of times. I have no idea what it is or what it means.

Code:
    1/12/11 3:26:29 AM	UserEventAgent[240]	**** ERROR: SCNetworkSignatureCopyActiveIdentifiers returned nil
    Now that I look at it more, it seems that a whole bunch of my programs are just constantly giving me error messages in the console. Programs that were open at the time like mail and quicktime are among some of the most often.

8. raep macrumors member

raep

9. Atothendrew24 thread starter macrumors member

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

11. Atothendrew24 thread starter macrumors member

I figured as much. I reset the SMC (which does sound like it might fix my problem) and I left the pram alone because I have already tried that in the past with no luck.

12. raep macrumors member

raep

I tought so to but since the OP in the other thread did both and got it fixed i tough I would just sugest both.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

14. Atothendrew24 thread starter macrumors member

15. raep macrumors member

raep

16. Atothendrew24 thread starter macrumors member

Hopefully. We shall we what happens tonight.

17. Creditcard macrumors member

Are you using a bluetooth device by any chance?

My BT mouse kept waking up my MBP with a closed lid.

18. Atothendrew24 thread starter macrumors member

Yes actually. I am using a magic mouse. The funny thing is that the batteries died in it and i have not gotten around to putting new ones in, and my computer is acting fine. I did turn off bluetooth on my computer when it died so maybe their is some correlation.

The even funnier thing is that in my system preferences i have "allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer" unchecked so idk why it would still be having an effect.

19. Creditcard macrumors member

Hmm.. yes I also unchecked that option but it seems to check itself again :eek: