Mid 2010 Macbook Pro Overheating

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yabot, Jul 9, 2013.

1. yabot macrumors regular

My mid 2010 13 inch macbook pro has never let me down, however recently is has been getting extremely hot.

It's currently running at 81 degrees and im just on Chrome with a few other tabs open in Youtube and iTunes. The fans are on full whack.

What could be the problem?

It's due to be updated soon, maybe in the next 6 months i think, money depending.

Cheers.

2. blackreplica macrumors member

Close all tabs with youtube in it and see if it's any better

3. simsaladimbamba

4. yabot thread starter macrumors regular

closed everything and its still soaring it actually cooled down when it was in the sun for abit even though it felt hotter, but now im back inside it's steadily climbing back up to 85....

would a restart help?

5. Doward macrumors 6502a

For comparison, I have Pandora playing, youtube open, and running my Windows XP Virtual Machine - my fans are @ 2250rpm, temperature is 55C.

6. yabot thread starter macrumors regular

i normally tend to have a few things open, itunes, word, powerpoint among others nothing heavy, and usually runs around the same temp as yours, just literally over the last week its been blazing. ever since i cleaned out the fan funnily enough!! the irony...

7. Doward macrumors 6502a

Download and install Intel Power Gadget

Ensure your processor is clocking back down appropriately :)

8. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Probably a funky fan. It could even just be dirty. Take it to a Genius Bar and let them make a diagnosis. If it's a fan it should cost next to nothing to fix. But it could just be full of dust after 5 years that happens. You should clean out the fan on these things. If you don't eventually the heat will destroy the machine.

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

1) Clean out the fans (they WILL be clogged up)

2) Re-apply thermal paste

Should be good as new :).

10. yabot thread starter macrumors regular

After a restart it seems to be running cool, perhaps it had something to do with the uptime of 5 days, i also cleaned the fan out with some cotton buds, too afraid to take it apart...