Mid-2010 MacBook Pro: spinning rainbow wheel

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tucker28, May 26, 2012.

1. Tucker28 macrumors newbie

This past week, I started getting this spinning rainbow wheel occasionally throughout the day. Before I posted this, I wanted to get a feel for what was going on first. When it happens, the program I am in will complete stop responding for anywhere from 15 seconds to over a minute. I have had Activity Monitor running for the past few days and I can say for certain that it isn't taxing the CPU when this occurs. The CPU is running fine and other programs will work. The reason I'm posting here is because it's not confined to one app. It does this on Warcraft and Safari the most, but that's what I am using the most on my vacation, but it has also locked up Backblaze (an online backup service), Chrome, and even Activity Monitor itself. And usually when it happens, it locks up more than one app at a time. What could this be? I just reinstalled lion a couple months ago at most. The MacBook came with 4GB, but I expanded it to 8GB shortly after getting it. The MacBook is generally running while I'm awake and home, because I use it for everything from college schoolwork to games to some video editing. It started after I reinstalled Backblaze early this week, but the program had been running perfectly when I had it running before I reinstalled lion. The. Only reason I reinstalled lion was because it was originally installed as an in-place upgrade from snow leopard, and unfortunately had a slight glitch when logging back into it after sleeping. Since reinstalling it, that has not happened again.

I am leaning towards the HDD for some reason. It is almost always spinning while I'm awake and home since I bought it in late 2010. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I would run a hard drive diagnostic on it just to rule it out. Doesn't hurt anything and then you'll know for sure if it's good or bad.

3. Tucker28 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a Repair Permissions for Disk Utility, and I also downloaded OnyX and I had 1 permission that needed fixing. OnyX didn't show anything and S.M.A.R.T. reported it was fine. But everything I've been able to find on this subject points to a hard drive issue... so I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Oh, and in Activity Monitor, when it occurs, it seems like it is trying to write to the drive, or at least it always seems to write to it immediately after it frees back up.

Sincerely,
    Scott

4. Tucker28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know anything other I can try? Or do I go with my gut and try replacing the HDD? This is the first time I've had the spinning wheel problem since I switched to Macs a few years ago. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Scott