Mid-2010 MacBook Pro upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zMacintoshz, Jul 24, 2011.

1. zMacintoshz macrumors regular

zMacintoshz

currently I have a 13" mid-2010 MacBook pro base model. I recently just bought 8gb of ram and now I want to replace the hard drive and swap the optical bay out for another hdd or SSD.

I bought 8gb (4gb x 2) corsair DDR3 1333MHz ram (that was defected and now being replaced)

Here are my options
    To replace my hard drive I want to get a 750gb
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST9750420AS/

For a second hard drive I was thinking about getting an SSD, I would like to use the SSD for all my applications and operating system only. I do not know much about SSD's but I was looking to get one from OWC
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDMBSSD060/

I use my MacBook pro for school, I use iMovie, adobe after effects, final cut pro applications a lot

Please feel free to leave suggestions

( typed this all on my iPad 2 )

2. mrdma macrumors newbie

Although I haven't traveled down this path quite yet, you may want to use an SSD as your primary drive and use the 750GB as your secondary drive installed in your optical drive bay. Then, install the optical drive in to a USB case.

visit here for more details:
    http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=OBSXGB-UNB&Category_Code=STORHDOPTIBAY

3. zMacintoshz thread starter macrumors regular

zMacintoshz

i was going to buy a super drive from Apple to replace my optical drive and yes i would use the ssd as my primary drive.

Any SSD recommendations:confused:

4. jasonbro macrumors regular

I got a 96gb Kensington v+100 drive from new egg for $95 after $50 rebate and new customer $10 off (NEWCUSTOMER10 i think).

I don't know if it's still on sale like that.

I wouldn't bother with another drive unless you need it.

IMO Crucial ram is best. but unless you have "page outs" under Activity Monitor, more ram will do nothing.

5. zMacintoshz thread starter macrumors regular

zMacintoshz

im upgrading my ram because i think it will make rendering after effects and other programs faster and run smoother

6. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

OP, calculate if throwing considerable money at a 13" MBP is worth it.

The 2010 model isn't very strong, processor-wise.

You might be better off selling it and getting a 2011 model.

7. jasonbro macrumors regular

It's a macbook Pro.

8. jasonbro macrumors regular

It won't.

Go to activity monitor and look at memory. Unless you have "page outs" it will make zero difference.

Page outs is when your ram gets overloaded. If your never use up the ram you have, you don't need more ram. :)

9. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

For After Effects, by the way, a faster computer would be better than upgrading this one.