Mid 2010 Macbook Pro vs Lion - FREEZING

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by bruleke, Oct 15, 2011.

1. bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

Some people around the world are having issues with Lion when installed in mid 2010 macbook pro.

-Constantly freezing
    -Freezes when in login screen

Some people can do a turn around: disable the automatic swithc graphics in the preferences panel.

Also, it seems to affect this card:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
    GPU
    PCIe (Bus)
    x16 (PCIe lane width)
    512MB (VRAM)
    0x0a29 (device ID)
    0x00a2 (Revision ID)
    3560 (ROM Revision)
    1.9.21 (gMux Version)

There are some people who are sending their laptops to Apple. In some ocasions Apple gives a new logic board, in others a new macbook, in others ocasions Apple just says 'nothing is wrong' (when definetely something IS wrong).

You can find more information in this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3209415?start=0&tstart=0

Hope I can help some users posting this information.

2. bruleke thread starter macrumors 6502

bruleke

UPDATE: I am following the discussion on Apple's forum and its not going well.

More people are installing LION on 2010 mid Macbook pro with these specifications and they keep having the freezing issue in login screen.

3. mark28 macrumors 68000

I didn't have freezing issues at all on my 15" 2010 MBP? :confused:

Unless it's 10.7.2, I never used that version. Only up to 10.7.1 cause I installed Snow Leopard last week and missed the Lion update.

4. Johbo macrumors newbie

It seems those of us who experiencing problems are seeing it on all Lion versions, so it seems your computer is not affected.

Would it be possible for you to post the approximate time you bought your computer and the System Information output of the Graphics/Displays -> NVIDIA page? It would be very helpful if there is something there which differs between computers with and without the issue.

Thanks!

Mine looks like this:
    Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0a29
    Revision ID: 0x00a2
    ROM Revision: 3560
    gMux Version: 1.9.21

5. aneks macrumors regular

Just went up to 10.7.2 and have had a few freezes randomly. I am running a MBP 6,2 with 512mb nvidia 330m.

Interested if this is graphics switching related. I am going to try using gfxCardStatus to disable automatic switching and just see if I can get the system to behave with both cards separately. Will see how it goes.

6. theotherjake macrumors member

I have a the exact same specs and have had zero problems (With my MBP anyway).

7. AaronS macrumors newbie

hey all, i am having similar issues.. I bought the Lion app from the app store. Downloaded and initially after the install it went to the boot up screen and its seriously stayed there for 24 hours. I did a hard shut down/reboot and it went straight back to the boot up screen.. that was 4 hours ago.. am i experiencing "indexing" ? i have an early/spring 2011 mbp, radeon graphics, quad core i7.

8. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

What if Steve Jobs' passing has triggered some some cosmic time warp in which Mac suffers from major stability issues and Windows is super stable?

It sounds bizarre, but I've read good things about Windows 7.

9. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Thats crazy, and besides, this issue was around before Steve's passing.

The issue occurs even if the logic board has been replaced, some users have reported 3 logic board replacements before the issue was resolved.

In light of this, I think it is most probably firmware.

Apple are looking into the issue: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4086

Luckily for me, my MBP is not affected, I'm still wary of updating to Lion though.

10. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

Firmware? You call that rational?

No. We are living in an alternate reality in which a black guy is president and Microsoft has a slightly more stable OS than Apple.

11. bruleke thread starter macrumors 6502

bruleke

Was that necessaly?
    I thought we were all trying to be objective here.

12. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

Sorry.

African American. :p

13. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Whats your take on it then?

Have you even read the Apple discussion thread linked at the top of the page?

I've been following it since it started.

And Windows 7 has been around a fair while longer than Lion, if you want to compare it to a Mac OS you should compare it to SL.

EDIT: This is the thread I was referring to, 117 pages.

14. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

My apologies. I did not intend to derail the thread with a little humor. Please ignore.

For the record, 10.7.2 has been awful on my late 2009 iMac. Freezes aplenty. Oh, misery, let me flee!

15. aneks macrumors regular

Unistalled Adobe Air as I had read that was an issue on this config and have used gfxCardStatus to restrict the system to the DEDICATED card only and I haven't had a single lockup since. Not 100% sure its a fix but so far things seem to better.

16. Nevalika macrumors newbie

yes.
    at first make a comparation to SL.

17. Lefuret21 macrumors newbie

Have had exactly the same isues since upgrading to Lion but just suffered silently.
    Bought my Mac Book Pro in August 2010.

Details of my graphics card

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0a29
    Revision ID: 0x00a2
    ROM Revision: 3560
    gMux Version: 1.9.21

Has any one found a solution ?

18. Lefuret21 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    After reading the info provided by Apple @ http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088?viewlocale=en_US I called Apple support as I thought it did describe my issue and the date of purchase / model match.
    This was a very bad experience. I was put through with someone in France with a poor command of english and put me on hold for a long while just to deny this is my issue. She pretended that the freeze only happens when typing on the keyboard / using the mouse whereas I most often experience it when I leave my laptop unattended. I will have to go to my Apple Dealer; unfortunately tomorrow being labour day, the seem not to work today.
    Anyway, can any one having (had) the issue better describe when / how it happened.
    Thanks

PS: do not remember if I had the issue before moving to Lion

19. Boris A macrumors member

MacBook Pro 13" mid 2010 here, NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB, 6GB RAM.

With 10.7.3 I have for the first time experienced freezes in Finder, i.e. unrelated to Apple or 3rd party applications.

Example: yesterday, simple three-finger swipes up and down caused the computer to completely freeze. As an experiment, I left it like that overnight to see if anything happens. In the morning, it was still frozen, with screen brightness still cranked up high and fans at maybe 60-80%.

(However, I have never had login screen issues.)

Terrible.

20. Vladus macrumors newbie

Solution for MAC OS X Lion freezing at login

Hello,

Go to Disk utility, select the boot partition, and in the First Aid - click on Verify disk permissions. You'll see for sure some errors there! Now click on Repair Disk permissions , and restart your computer. Your problem with login is gone for sure!

The reason for this problem in my case was the application ntfs-3g which did something wrong with the boot partition.

PS
    You can do this as well, without even login in the system. Switch on the laptop, press ALT till you get in the boot menu. Select Recovery partition, select disk utility there.