Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dezza85

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
Hi Guys

So I have had my Mid 2010 Macbook Pro, well for 5 years now and I must say this is the first Mac I have had and I'm delighted with both the quality and the time that its lasted! Even now I can get a good 3-4 hours out of the battery!!!

So.. Here is my question?! Its starting to slow, especially when I have to use Microsoft Office for my work! iTunes is also getting to the point where I'm getting frustrated and the icon just bounces all the time!

If I go for another Mac I am definitely going to go for an iMac, possibly even a 27" version as I can really see the benefits of having the extra screen space rather than having to go from one screen to the other. I have an iPad that can more than cope with the tasks I have away from home.

However I'm not sure whether to go all out and buy a new iMac or to just upgrade the one that I have to 8GB Ram (Currently 4GB) and to an SSD if possible?! Would this really solve my lagging issues enough for me to be happy for another 2-3 years or do I just have to face that the 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo is just a little past its sell by date now?!

Cheers

Dezza

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
It's a tough one but if office and itunes are your most demanding use then I would just stick an ssd in it and see how you go, the RAM will need upping if you like to keep a lot open at the same time but it is the second upgrade in my opinion to the SSD.

I would guess your HDD is starting to slowly die as well and that will be whats causing much of your slowdown.

So if it was me I'd go ssd and see how it goes if you like it add some RAM.

Of course at 5 years old you may want to cut your losses and get a new one, it's not the processor thats the issue it's graphics, screen, bluetooth and wifi standards, no thunderbolt, no HDMI, no USB 3, slower RAM, lack of PCIe SSD options etc etc etc....

dezza85

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
It's a tough one but if office and itunes are your most demanding use then I would just stick an ssd in it and see how you go, the RAM will need upping if you like to keep a lot open at the same time but it is the second upgrade in my opinion to the SSD.

I would guess your HDD is starting to slowly die as well and that will be whats causing much of your slowdown.

So if it was me I'd go ssd and see how it goes if you like it add some RAM.

Of course at 5 years old you may want to cut your losses and get a new one, it's not the processor thats the issue it's graphics, screen, bluetooth and wifi standards, no thunderbolt, no HDMI, no USB 3, slower RAM, lack of PCIe SSD options etc etc etc....

Thanks... My only concern with the processor is that I have recently been using an activity tracker to try and figure out what the problem is and I have been finding that the CPU is quite often at max capacity, especially when loading programs etc.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Thanks... My only concern with the processor is that I have recently been using an activity tracker to try and figure out what the problem is and I have been finding that the CPU is quite often at max capacity, especially when loading programs etc.

Thats to be expected there is no point in not using the CPU to it's full potential, but if it looks like it's not keeping up with your work then replace it with something new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.