Mid 2010 MBP + 10.8.2 = Failed Logic Board?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ohheyitskeil, Sep 20, 2012.

1. ohheyitskeil macrumors newbie

10.8.2 update downloaded and the installer ran without any bugs, but when it came time to reboot, I got a gray startup screen (right before the apple) and it just hung there.

I immediately got a genius bar appointment for today, no easy task since iPhone day is tomorrow, and they said my logic board had failed. My question is, what did this update do that would even allow the possibility for a lb to fail?

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Perhaps it was a coincidence. That's kind of far fetched but certainly possible.

Do you have AppleCare?

3. ohheyitskeil thread starter macrumors newbie

It would be an unlikely coincidence though because the computer had given me no problems up until the software update. But the possibility of coincidence still makes sense because I don't think apple would let an update go if it had the potential to do that.

And yes, thankfully I have applecare so I wasn't out the $526.50 that the genius bar would have charged me.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I take it you are having it repaired at the moment then?

And yes, I realize if it were a coincidence that it is highly unlikely but it's always possible. I can't see anything software related directly cause a hardware failure.

5. ohheyitskeil thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, checked it into the Grand Central store at 7:59pm. They had to order the part, so hopefully I'll get it back sometime next week.

Til then though, doing school work is gonna suck :(