Mid-2010 MBP 27" monitor question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by parisbaby, Oct 16, 2014.

1. parisbaby macrumors newbie

Kinda feeling like I'm in a dilemma here. I'm looking at a Dell U2713H monitor, but am worried that my older mid-2010 MBP wouldn't be able to drive it. Or any of the newer monitors for that matter.

Am I being paranoid? Does anyone have any recommendations for 27" monitors that should work ok with my well-used, awesome MBP?

Thanks guys!

2. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

I have a 2010 MBP that I use with a 2560x1440 monitor, but I do have a version with the 330m dGPU. Not sure what the iGPU from that year can handle.

3. parisbaby thread starter macrumors newbie

So looking at my MBP's specs, it shows 'NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB'. Think that's similar to what you have?

4. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

It'll drive it but keep an eye on your GPU temperatures cos the 330 will run hotter with it connected.

5. parisbaby thread starter macrumors newbie

That is a great point about GPU temperature I hadn't thought about. Is this going to be a problem if I'm connected to it during the course of a typical work day? Any suggestions on how to deal with the heat?

Thanks!

6. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're not doing anything specifically taxing to the GPU (games, 3D, I'd say compute but no one would use the 330m for GPU compute).

7. parisbaby thread starter macrumors newbie

No, on this machine I mainly do programming, with some word processing and occasional Photoshop thrown in. Certainly not anything really graphic intensive like gaming or 3D.

8. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I'm an engineer :D

A fan control app like macsfancontrol will show you the temperatures of the gpu and other sensors and I'd just keep an eye on it. If you've never run it with a display with that resolution before you will be generating more heat.

If it gets too hot you can always set the above app to spin up the fans earlier to keep it cooler. It has customisable trigger points for pretty much every sensor, iirc you want to keep watch on the gpu diode and also the CPU.

9. parisbaby thread starter macrumors newbie

All great info, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered one. I figure I can always return it if it just doesn't work out.

Thanks guys!