Mid 2010 MBP - AppleCare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Raditude, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Raditude macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a Mid 2010 MacBook Pro. My Mac is constantly crashing. It usually crashes once or twice a day. As of today, it crashes within a few minutes of turning it on.

I have AppleCare, and want to get it replaced. Thing is, I have so much stuff on the Hard Drive, that I need. If the Apple Store replaces the MacBook, will they transfer the files, or let me transfer them?

The Mac won't stay booted up long enough to transfer all the files. It would require removing the Hard Drive, and putting it in an enclosure to transfer.

If files are transfered, will the old hard drive be able to be wiped before they take it? I have sensitive files on there.

On a separate note, the CD drive broke, and I attempted to replace it myself (before I knew I had AppleCare). I couldn't find a replacement that worked in my MacBook, and reinstalled the original broken one. Some of the screw were lost in the process, and the CD drive was opened up. Will this void my warranty? Will I be able to get a CD drive replacement, if they don't replace the whole MacBook? Will this prevent them from replacing the MacBook?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple is more likely to repair, rather than replace, your Mac. They typically only replace a computer that has been brought in for repairs several times.
    Yes.
    Yes, either you can wipe the drive in an external enclosure, or Apple can wipe it for you, if you ask.
    If Apple determines that your problems stem from your modifications, they could void the warranty. It really depends on the Apple rep you talk to. They may simply repair your Mac and replace your optical drive with no problems. Your best bet is to take it to Apple and explain your situation. No one here can accurately predict what Apple will do in your case.