Mid-2010 MBP can't boot anymore. Boot screen with progress bar

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by David2144, Apr 10, 2014.

1. David2144 macrumors member

It was working fine yesterday. Now, it's trying to boot (the grey screen with the apple logo) but there's a progress bar at the bottom which takes 10 minutes to fill up. After 10 minutes, the computer just shuts off and if I try turning it on, it does the same thing.

Tried to boot into ubuntu using an SD card but it does the same thing. I then went into internet recover and repaired the disk. still the same thing.

2. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

I have the same model MBP and haven't had any such issue, it actually runs rather nice with Yosemite.

The only problem is perhaps a interrupted install that may have affected your boot partition etc. The last few downloaded updates I had let them do their thing and with a bit of patience (the Core 2 Duo is "old" by computing standards).

Have you tried booting from your original OS X install DVD? Worst case scenario is to fully nuke the drive and restore from a retail install DVD (Snow Leopard) and then download and install Yosemite. I hope you back up often... :confused:

3. denhamparry macrumors newbie

I've been having the same issue since upgrading to Yosemite, have "fixed" it twice but had the issue happen again today.

I've kept a note of the steps I've taken to gain access again. I don't think this can be deemed as a fix though:

1- Reset NVRAM (Cmd/Option/P/R at boot)
    2- Select Boot (Option) with ethernet cable.
    3- Boot Yosemite installer via USB

-- GREY SCREEN for 15+ mins -- Turned MBP off

4- Boot from Installer (C) with no power cable plugged in

-- After 60 seconds got redirected to login even though USB drive was making noise --

5- Enter credentials and logged in

I'm starting to think that this might be linked to applications trying to open on load. Will post any updates if I get any.