Mid 2010 MBP CPU always at 80-90 degrees!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thebeautyisfake, Nov 9, 2011.

1. thebeautyisfake, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

thebeautyisfake macrumors regular

Hello.

I recently installed the Lion 10.7.2 update.
    Since then my laptop (Macbook Pro Mid 2010 , 15 inch, 2.6Ghz i7, 4GB RAM) has had the fan on constantly, all the time without a second of it not being active. I looked at the temperatures and the CPU is constantly between 80-90 degrees celsius. I check the activity monitor and find that there is no application that is CPU dependant, as this happens even now as I type this post on Chrome, the only application other than Mail that is open.

Is there a fault with my machine? This happens even on a flat surface such as a desk. To put it into perspective I could start ripping a DVD via handbrake and the CPU temperatures would stay the same.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

I find 10.7 is a bit more processor intensive, just sitting there doing nothing. I'd have to look up Intel's specifications to know precisely what that processor is intended to handle, but 80-90°C does not sound bad to me.

Your fan will always be running so long as the machine is turned on no matter what OS you're running. It may change speeds, but it will definitely always be running.

3. thebeautyisfake thread starter macrumors regular

When I said always running I meant at audible levels. Obviously the fan needs to be on at all times. I worded my post wrong.
    Doubt that it should be at 4,000rpm all the time, though.

4. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

You should be running between 45-55 C (give or take 5 C) and 2000RPM for minimal stuff like that. Something is wrong.

5. thebeautyisfake, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

thebeautyisfake thread starter macrumors regular

So I have found the culprit. I didn't have "all processes" selected in activity monitor, silly me.
    Some process called "bkbackupscheduler" is running, and using 99% of my CPU. I killed it but it just keeps coming back. Searches point to something belkin-related. Knew I shouldn't have used that install CD.

Managed to rid the system of it. Can Belkin ever get anything right?