Mid 2010 MBP dead

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andiwm2003, Sep 6, 2016.

1. andiwm2003, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016

andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

My mid 2008 (sorry the title was a typo) MBP is dead. It doesn't start up anymore. You can hear the chirp when it accesses the DVD drive and you can feel the HD spinning but the display stays black and the startup chime never sounds.

Is there anything I can do or is it gone for good?

In case it's gone for good is there anything that can be done with it as the display, keyboard, drives are all still good. Sell it for parts? Where? buy a motherboard and DIY repair?

Thanks

2. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

It's a pretty old machine and imho, not worth putting money into. But if you do, you can probably get parts on eBay.

It's fairly easy to take apart if you have the right tools. Check out iFixit.com for instruction.

3. andiwm2003, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016

andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

yeah, just checked eBay. seems there are no logic boards for the 2008 model anymore. i guess i just wait for the skylake release in a few weeks/month and go for that. still sad as the mbp was doing most things (email, youtube, internet, photos) just fine.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

You might try things like taking RAM out for a few minutes (and then re-installing), PRAM reset, etc.

8 years of usage is better-than-average.

Might be time to start looking for a replacement.
    If you're "of that mind", probably not worth putting $$$ towards the old one.
    Put it towards the new(er) one, instead.

Are you backed up?
    If necessary, you might be able to take the old internal drive out and connect it to the new MacBook, and get your data off of it that way...

5. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

If it's an Early 2008 (non-unibody) it's probably the 8600m GT issue that is well documented. If it's a Late 2008 (unibody) sorry for your loss, those were pretty good machines for the most part.

6. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

Just curious. Does something like this happen because of usage or bad parts or just the luck of the draw? I've had (and still do) numerous Apple devices and never had one just up and die. Wanted to know some guidelines as what to watch for or how not to use. Sister has my old iPad three, brother has my 2007 iMac and I have an 9.7" iPad Pro, 2016 27" iMac bought last fall and early 2015 13" rMBP. (Heck, I still have a functioning graphite G3 iMac). Everything is running just fine. Should I be concerned or just not worry? Thanks for the info.

7. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Yeah time to move on. Just don't want to toss it out if it can be salvaged somehow. I'm always backed up and I'll keep the hdd.