Mid 2010 MBP displaying green pixels where black pixels should be.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dazabon, Sep 24, 2015.

1. dazabon macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a mid 2010 era MBP 15" with 2.66GHz i7 processor. Since January this year (2015), I've been experiencing a problem with the screen, where the black pixels are being displayed as green. See attached photo. The problem does not carry over to external displays, so I'm assuming that it's a hardware issue.

What's odd is, the problem disappears when I push down on the laptop body, just to the top left corner of the trackpad, or if I push up on the same area from the underside. Some people have suggested it being a cable issue but I've opened it up, cleaned all of the connections but to no avail.

I've come across quite a few similar cases online but no-one has provided a reason for why this is happening and more importantly, a solution to the problem. If anyone could give any insight with regards to causes, solutions, repair costs, etc., I'd greatly appreciate your input.

On a side note, one of the reasons that I adore my MBP so much is because of it's performance, which hasn't degraded one bit since the day I took it out of it's box. However, over the past four weeks, it has become painfully sluggish, freezing all the time on minute tasks such as opening or closing apps. I'm guessing that it must be some sort of virus and that a simple wipe and re-installation of the OS should clear it up but I'm just curious to know if anyone else who has experienced the screen issue has experienced this phenomenon as well?

Thanks in advance. :)

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well that sounds like a combination of graphics card solder issues (well known on this mac the repair program has finished though) and a dying HDD (5 years is about right for an HDD life) for the slowness.

To be honest your mac is around the age where you will usually be better off putting any money towards a new computer rather than pay to fix the one you have.

3. dazabon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Samuelsan, you have been very helpful. That would explain the screen issue alright, but allow me to elaborate on the performance issue. Firstly, on startup, the laptop regularly freezes (or at least stalls for a very long time) as the screen transitions from plain blue to the login screen. As I said, opening and closing some apps, particularly google chrome, safari and VLC Player. The funny thing is that I can run demanding programs such as Logic Pro without any problems. Does this still sound like it's a HDD issue? Thanks

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Thats very difficult to say, try going into disk utility and doing a repair disk and disk permissions and see if that helps sometimes it's that simple.