mid 2010 mbp external monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnh57, Nov 28, 2014.

1. johnh57 macrumors regular

I had a 23" samsung monitor for my mbp - worked fine, but I would like a bigger monitor for autocad. I picked up a 32" samsung 1080p tv and it seems fine for autocad, but text resolution and color balance is horrible on websites, word, excel, etc. I've tried the force rgb mode patch and honestly can't see much improvement. Money is a consideration or I'd just go buy an imac.

There are any number of the apple cinema 30" monitors on ebay, and lots of the dell ultraview 30's mostly the 3007 model. Most of these can be had for $500 give or take. I know I would also need a $100 +/- mini display port to dual dvi adaptor to get full resolution 2560 x 1600.

Advice for a 2560 x 1600 30" monitor on a budget. No gaming, or photo/video manipulation forseen.

The mpb is mid 2010 15" with the 512gb nvidia graphics, 8gb ram, 500gb samsung evo sdd.

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Make sure your choice has displayport so you don't need an expensive dual link DVI converter

I'd recommend a dell ultrasharp

3. johnh57 thread starter macrumors regular

An external monitor with display port would only need a mini dp to dp cable to develop full resolution? As I understand it my mbp would support resolution of up to 2560 x 1600.

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

correct

5. johnh57 thread starter macrumors regular

Getting closer! I bought a 32" BenQ WQHD Cad/Cam monitor. The monitor has display port connections. It plugged in and worked great right off the start, resolution is more than adequate for my needs.

Sound is the next minor issue. On my samsung 23" monitor I was never able to get sound out of the mdp-hdmi connection (the monitor has internal speakers, my wife is using it on her windows laptop now and has sound). When I used the same connections to the Samsung 32" LED TV, I had sound. Now with the Benq monitor and the MDP-DP I get no sound. When I select the Benq device as a sound device I get the 'device has no output controls' warning. As a workaround I ran a headphone cable from the Macbook to the monitor and set the sound device to headphones. It works, just an extra cable running around that shouldn't be necessary.

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Is it a mdp wire that supports sound? Not all do. Also the monitor has to support sound over mdp.

7. johnh57 thread starter macrumors regular

Ha! got it. Had to select an 'auto detect' mode on the monitor rather than pc input.

Works fine!

The 'output device has no controls' apparently means that volume control from the mac is out. You have to use either the monitor or the video volume controls.